Jul 11, 2010, 10:48 PM EST
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
The Nationals stranded 13 men on base in today's loss.
As much as the Nationals have tried to view this season as 162 individual games, never looking back or looking forward, it was tough for everyone to pack their bags this afternoon and not embark on the All-Star break with a sour taste in their mouths.
There was an opportunity this weekend to erase some of the frustration of the last month and close out the season's first half on a high note. Two days ago, the Nats were 5-3 on this homestand, with a chance to finish it 6-4 or even 7-3.
And then they put forth a couple of duds against the Giants, losing last night 10-5 when Tyler Clippard imploded in the seventh and then losing today 6-2 after Livan Hernandez spotted San Francisco a five-run lead.
What could have been an uplifting conclusion to the season's first half instead ended on another downswing, not to mention a 39-50 record and a firm grip on last place in the NL East.
For the fifth consecutive season, the Nationals head into the All-Star break with at least 50 losses in the books, an ignominious streak they could have snapped with just one weekend victory.
Which isn't to say this team hasn't made some significant strides over the last 3 1/2 months. These aren't the 2009 Nats, who a year ago at this point were 26-61 and about to fire Manny Acta. But there's also a sense around this club that things could (and should) be better thanRead more »
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Craig Stammen signs minor league deal with Cleveland
- Report: Tyler Clippard signs deal with NL West club
- 2016 MLB roster outlook: Los Angeles Dodgers
- Bryce Harper shows off Redskins hat en route to Super Bowl
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: Can Joe Ross take the next step?
- Nationals sign veteran infielder to minor league deal
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: Can Gio Gonzalez be more consistent?
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: Stephen Strasburg's contract year
- 2016 MLB roster outlook: Detroit Tigers
- 2016 MLB roster outlook: Colorado Rockies