Jul 11, 2010, 3:07 AM EDT
More discouraging news for Jesus Flores, whose attempted return from a major shoulder injury has suffered another setback.
After experiencing shoulder pain while working out in Viera, Fla., Flores was sent to orthopedist James Andrews in Birmingham, Ala. Andrews had Flores undergo an MRI, which revealed no new damage, but the catcher still has been shut down for three days before he’ll be cleared to resume his throwing program.
General manager Mike Rizzo said Flores will be able to pick up where he left off once he resumes throwing and won’t have to start from scratch. But the likelihood of him returning to play in the majors this season is dwindling.
“Dr. Andrews says everything is clean, but he feels pain,” Rizzo said. “So that’s why we’re going the cautious route. We’ll shut him down til the pain goes away and then ramp him back up again and see what happens.”
Aside from three pinch-hitting appearances last September, Flores has not played since fracturing his shoulder May 9, 2009 when a foul ball struck him. He appeared close to returning from that injury, but in the latter stages of his rehab last summer, he did more damage and tore the labrum in the shoulder, requiring surgery.
NL EAST STANDINGS
SAT: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SUN: Phillies at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
MON: Orioles at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
TUE: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
WED: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
THU: Mets at Nats, 12:35 p.m.
FRI: Nats at Braves 7:35 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Hard-hit balls equal hard-luck loss for Nationals
- Fister, Nationals hard-luck losers in pitchers duel
- Asdrubal Cabrera joins Nats after trade, starts at second base
- Nationals send slumping Barrett to AAA
- Asdrubal Cabrera makes his debut
- Nats activate Asdrubal Cabrera, option Aaron Barrett
- MLB Power Rankings: Deadline shakeup in the AL
- Nationals bullpen in surprising rut
- Gio Gonzalez stumbles again in Nats' 10-4 loss to Phillies
- Pitchers' duel becomes battle of bullpens in Nationals 10-4 loss