Jul 11, 2010, 3:07 AM EST
More discouraging news for Jesus Flores, whose attempted return from a major shoulder injury has suffered another setback.
After experiencing shoulder pain while working out in Viera, Fla., Flores was sent to orthopedist James Andrews in Birmingham, Ala. Andrews had Flores undergo an MRI, which revealed no new damage, but the catcher still has been shut down for three days before he’ll be cleared to resume his throwing program.
General manager Mike Rizzo said Flores will be able to pick up where he left off once he resumes throwing and won’t have to start from scratch. But the likelihood of him returning to play in the majors this season is dwindling.
“Dr. Andrews says everything is clean, but he feels pain,” Rizzo said. “So that’s why we’re going the cautious route. We’ll shut him down til the pain goes away and then ramp him back up again and see what happens.”
Aside from three pinch-hitting appearances last September, Flores has not played since fracturing his shoulder May 9, 2009 when a foul ball struck him. He appeared close to returning from that injury, but in the latter stages of his rehab last summer, he did more damage and tore the labrum in the shoulder, requiring surgery.
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- 2016 MLB roster outlook: Los Angeles Dodgers
- Bryce Harper shows off Redskins hat en route to Super Bowl
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: Can Joe Ross take the next step?
- Nationals sign veteran infielder to minor league deal
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: Can Gio Gonzalez be more consistent?
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: Stephen Strasburg's contract year
- 2016 MLB roster outlook: Detroit Tigers
- 2016 MLB roster outlook: Colorado Rockies
- 2016 MLB roster outlook: Cleveland Indians
- Report: All-Star catcher Lucroy has Nats on no-trade list