Jul 11, 2010, 3:07 AM EDT
More discouraging news for Jesus Flores, whose attempted return from a major shoulder injury has suffered another setback.
After experiencing shoulder pain while working out in Viera, Fla., Flores was sent to orthopedist James Andrews in Birmingham, Ala. Andrews had Flores undergo an MRI, which revealed no new damage, but the catcher still has been shut down for three days before he’ll be cleared to resume his throwing program.
General manager Mike Rizzo said Flores will be able to pick up where he left off once he resumes throwing and won’t have to start from scratch. But the likelihood of him returning to play in the majors this season is dwindling.
“Dr. Andrews says everything is clean, but he feels pain,” Rizzo said. “So that’s why we’re going the cautious route. We’ll shut him down til the pain goes away and then ramp him back up again and see what happens.”
Aside from three pinch-hitting appearances last September, Flores has not played since fracturing his shoulder May 9, 2009 when a foul ball struck him. He appeared close to returning from that injury, but in the latter stages of his rehab last summer, he did more damage and tore the labrum in the shoulder, requiring surgery.
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com.
- Pujols gets 500th, Nats fall to Angels
- Pujols launches 500th homer at Nationals' expense
- Who is the Nats best 8th inning option?
- Fister pitches 3 innings, on track for May 7 return
- Nats Game Thread: No rest for Desmond
- Nationals recall Barrett, send Cedeno to AAA
- Clippard: "No one is going to feel sorry for me" (VIDEO)
- Desmond, Clippard unravel in eighth inning of Nats' loss
- Williams shows faith in Clippard despite struggles
- Trout talk: How good is he? (VIDEO)