Jul 11, 2010, 4:30 PM EDT
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
It's the final day of the season's first half at Nationals Park.
And so we have come to the end of the first half of the season, a first half that included some dizzying highs (Stephen Strasburg's debut, Willie Harris' game-saving catch in New York, Adam Dunn's recent power surge, a record that stood five games over .500 in mid-May) and some terrifying lows (three straight blown leads to the Orioles, more errors than any other team in baseball, Jason Marquis' three starts).
It bears noting that at this point one year ago, the Nationals' record was 26-61. Manny Acta was fired right as the All-Star break began and Jim Riggleman took over. Today will be Riggleman's 164th game as Nats manager. His record entering today: 72-91. A win today against the Giants would leave the Nationals at 40-49 going into the break. Good enough? No. But progress? Yes.
Sad news to report on this otherwise glorious Sunday: Bob Sheppard, the Yankees' famed PA announcer since Joe DiMaggio was roaming the outfield, died today at age 99. In Sheppard's honor, I'll present today's lineups in his signature fashion.
Check back for updates before, during and after the game…
GIANTS at NATIONALS
Where: Nationals Park
Gametime: 1:35 p.m.
TV: Ch. 50, MASN
Radio: WFED-1500 AM, WWFD-820 AM
Weather: Sunny, 88 degrees, Wind 8 mph LF to RF
The center fielder, number 1, Nyjer Morgan. Number 1.
The second baseman, number 15, Cristian Guzman. Number 15.
The third baseman, number 11, Ryan Zimmerman. Number 11.
The first baseman, number 44, Adam Dunn. Number 44.
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com.
- Stephen Strasburg surrenders six in loss to Miami
- Braves fan trolls Nats with Wikipedia page entry (PHOTO)
- Strasburg looks to make it two in a row vs. Marlins
- Around the NL East: Braves rolling, Marlins reeling
- Orioles billboard spotted along D.C. line
- Driesell, Kolzig headline 2014 DC Sports Hall of Fame class
- Jordan Zimmermann goes seven in Nationals win over Miami
- Nationals' bench continues strong start in win over Marlins
- Zimmermann, Nats look to stop losing streak
- State of the Nats: Moving on after the sweep