Jul 11, 2010, 4:30 PM EDT
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
It's the final day of the season's first half at Nationals Park.
And so we have come to the end of the first half of the season, a first half that included some dizzying highs (Stephen Strasburg's debut, Willie Harris' game-saving catch in New York, Adam Dunn's recent power surge, a record that stood five games over .500 in mid-May) and some terrifying lows (three straight blown leads to the Orioles, more errors than any other team in baseball, Jason Marquis' three starts).
It bears noting that at this point one year ago, the Nationals' record was 26-61. Manny Acta was fired right as the All-Star break began and Jim Riggleman took over. Today will be Riggleman's 164th game as Nats manager. His record entering today: 72-91. A win today against the Giants would leave the Nationals at 40-49 going into the break. Good enough? No. But progress? Yes.
Sad news to report on this otherwise glorious Sunday: Bob Sheppard, the Yankees' famed PA announcer since Joe DiMaggio was roaming the outfield, died today at age 99. In Sheppard's honor, I'll present today's lineups in his signature fashion.
Check back for updates before, during and after the game…
GIANTS at NATIONALS
Where: Nationals Park
Gametime: 1:35 p.m.
TV: Ch. 50, MASN
Radio: WFED-1500 AM, WWFD-820 AM
Weather: Sunny, 88 degrees, Wind 8 mph LF to RF
The center fielder, number 1, Nyjer Morgan. Number 1.
The second baseman, number 15, Cristian Guzman. Number 15.
The third baseman, number 11, Ryan Zimmerman. Number 11.
The first baseman, number 44, Adam Dunn. Number 44.
NL EAST STANDINGS
NL WILD CARD STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Month to forget continues for Scherzer, Nats
- Scherzer's struggles continue in Nationals' 4-3 loss to Marlins
- Hip surgery for Span, but Taylor's knee OK
- Game Thread: Nationals open series vs. Marlins
- Desperate Nationals recall OF from AAA Syracuse
- MLB Power Rankings: More movement in AL East
- Ross shines against former team, pulled early for innings limit
- Span likely out for season after latest injury
- Nats banged up in 4-2 victory over Padres, win third straight series
- Updated: Taylor leaves Nats-Padres game after colliding with wall