Jul 13, 2010, 8:00 PM EST
Photo courtesy Los Angeles Angels
Angel Stadium, site of tonight's All-Star Game.
For all its flaws — and it has several — Major League Baseball's All-Star Game remains by far the best of the all-star competitions held in all the major sports. There's still something about the midsummer classic that makes it … well, a classic.
There should be a fair amount of intrigue to tonight's game in Anaheim. The National League, which is amazingly seeking its first victory since 1996, sends out a potent pitching staff that includes Ubaldo Jimenez, Josh Johnson, Roy Halladay and Tim Lincecum, among others. The American League counters with one of the greatest lineups ever assembled (how about that 7-8-9 of Joe Mauer, Robinson Cano and Carl Crawford?).
Nationals fans can only hope Matt Capps works his way into the game and perhaps gets to play a key role in securing a late NL lead.
All baseball fans will be interested to see what kind of tribute is planned for George Steinbrenner, who died this morning at age 80. I can only imagine what this game will be like for Derek Jeter and his Yankees teammates.
Obviously, I'm not in Anaheim for the game. But I will be watching it on TV with the rest of you. So I figured it only makes sense to provide a forum for discussion. I'll have some thoughts along the way, and if there's anything you're interested in discussing, just drop that into the comments section and I'll see what I can do.
Hope everyone enjoys the game…
NATIONAL LEAGUE at AMERICAN LEAGUE
Where: Angel Stadium
Gametime: 8 p.m.
Radio: 980-AM, 94.3-FM, 92.7-FM.
Weather: Sunny, 76 degrees, Wind 11 mph out to RF
SS Hanley Ramirez
2B Martin Prado
1B Albert Pujols
DH Ryan Howard
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Report: Phillies may target Cabrera to replace Rollins
- USO tour was "life-changing" for Nats' Fister
- Trade official, Turner can't join Nats til June
- Jerry Blevins on Japan, hoping for better results with Nats in 2015
- Moore, Taylor hope to be in mix for Nats' bench spots
- Report: Braves continue makeover, trade star OF Justin Upton
- Drew Storen goes 1-on-1 with Mark Zuckerman at NatsFest
- Winter Classic rink construction well underway at Nats Park
- Nats recall NLDS, watching Giants win World Series
- 'Baseball in the District' - Kurkjian, Zuckerman & Corcoran talk Nats