Jul 13, 2010, 3:35 PM EDT
Though their 39-50 record at the All-Star break represents a 12-game improvement from 2009, the Nationals hardly feel like they reached their full potential during the season’s first half.
Has progress been made? Yes. But, as Jim Riggleman put it: “It’s kind of been a step forward and then a slow down. I won’t say a step back.”
“I think we’ve underachieved a little bit,” Mike Rizzo said. “I don’t think we’ve played as well as we can.”
The next two weeks could be important for the Nats, who must decide by the end of the month whether to trade away guys like Adam Dunn, Josh Willingham and Matt Capps or whether to keep this current group intact and add to it.
As you’ll read on CSNwashington.com, the pending trade deadline, plus the return of several injured pitchers and the upcoming Bryce Harper negotiation all will highlight the season’s second half.
NL EAST STANDINGS
WED: Nats at Phillies, 7:35 p.m.
FRI: Nats at Mariners, 10:10 p.m.
SAT: Nats at Mariners, 9:10 p.m.
SUN: Nats at Mariners, 4:10 p.m.
MON: Nats at Dodgers, 8:10 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Dodgers, 10:10 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Gonzalez sees progress in latest start for Nats
- Nationals lament close call in loss to Phillies
- Nats struggle early, lose in controversial fashion to Phillies
- LaRoche gets rare night off with tight back
- Gonzalez faces Hamels in showdown of southpaws
- Nats' Triple-A affiliate Syracuse raking in postseason awards
- A primer on postseason roster eligibility rules
- Around the NL East: Stanton making strong push for NL MVP
- Nationals can't pull off dramatic rally this time
- Nats' momentum stalls vs. Phillies in first game of long road trip