Jul 13, 2010, 3:35 PM EDT
Though their 39-50 record at the All-Star break represents a 12-game improvement from 2009, the Nationals hardly feel like they reached their full potential during the season’s first half.
Has progress been made? Yes. But, as Jim Riggleman put it: “It’s kind of been a step forward and then a slow down. I won’t say a step back.”
“I think we’ve underachieved a little bit,” Mike Rizzo said. “I don’t think we’ve played as well as we can.”
The next two weeks could be important for the Nats, who must decide by the end of the month whether to trade away guys like Adam Dunn, Josh Willingham and Matt Capps or whether to keep this current group intact and add to it.
As you’ll read on CSNwashington.com, the pending trade deadline, plus the return of several injured pitchers and the upcoming Bryce Harper negotiation all will highlight the season’s second half.
NL EAST STANDINGS
x-Clinched division title
WED: Nats at Braves, 7:10 p.m.
THU: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
FRI: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
SAT: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
SUN: Nats at Marlins, 1:10 p.m.
TUE: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals Stock Watch: NL East champs have plenty of risers
- Matt Williams quotes Robert Frost in postgame speech (VIDEO)
- VIDEO: Nats celebrate NL East title with loud music, lots of beer
- Nationals players react to winning NL East on Twitter
- PHOTOS: Harper wears custom firefighters helmet to celebrate
- Nationals clinch NL East with victory in Atlanta
- How did Zimmerman fare in first game action in Viera?
- Nationals play for NL East title tonight in Atlanta
- Has Strasburg earned Game 1 start in playoffs?
- Around the NL East: Braves on the verge of elimination