Jul 16, 2010, 10:20 PM EST
MIAMI — Matt Capps hasn't had much of a chance to catch his breath since departing Washington for Anaheim late Sunday afternoon. Between the cross-country flight, the All-Star Game and all its festivities, a quick trip home to Tampa and then the final jaunt to Miami to rejoin the Nationals for this weekend's series, Capps' head is still spinning.
"That being said, as tiring and exhausting as it was, I had an absolute blast," he said. "I wouldn't change a bit of it."
Why would Capps want to change anything? The reliever's first All-Star appearance turned into a memorable experience, capped with the victory in the NL's 3-1 win over the AL.
As excited as he was to earn the W, Capps said his most-anticipated and coolest moment came when he lined up alongside his fellow All-Stars and heard his name announced over the Angel Stadium P.A. system. He had been waiting for that moment since Opening Day 2008, when he remarked to former Pirates teammate Matt Morris that the annual announcing of rosters still gave him chills.
"Wait til you hear your name announced at an All-Star Game for the first time," Morris told him.
"He was right," Capps said today. "It was a cool feeling."
Capps made a point to save all sorts of souvenirs from the midsummer classic, including the game ball, his cap and spikes andRead more »
COUNTDOWN TO OPENING DAY
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Will 2015 be a breakout year for Nats' RF Harper?
- Werth shooting for opener but will be cautious
- Escobar '100 percent committed' to new position
- Why Harper's confidence is a good sign for Nats
- A year older, Rendon ready for the long grind
- Nats' minor league affiliate gets new ownership
- Harper on Nats signing Scherzer: 'Where's my ring?'
- Report: Ichiro happy to be away from Yankees' manager Girardi
- Full roster has reported, but Werth still rehabbing
- Wilson Ramos talks Nats' stacked rotation, personal goals