Jul 16, 2010, 11:24 AM EDT
After a nice, four-day respite, the Nationals are back to work tonight, opening a 10-game road trip through Florida, Cincinnati and Milwaukee that will serve as a significant test for this club.
That may explain, in part, why Jim Riggleman is going with Stephen Strasburg right out of the gate tonight against the Marlins. He's trying to set a positive tone as the season's second half begins, and who better than Strasburg to help make that happen?
This will be the kid's eighth career start, only his third on the road, and it figures to be the lowest-profile outing he's had yet. The Marlins, who draw some of the smallest crowds in the majors, are expecting about 25,000 at Sun Life Stadium. That's a pretty good gathering for them, but it will pale in comparison to Strasburg's previous starts. He's yet to pitch in front of a crowd smaller than 31,000.
This does raise a question, though: Is Strasburg-mania starting to die down? His last start (at home against the Giants) drew 34,723 to Nationals Park. It also drew the smallest media gathering yet for oneRead more »
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
NL POSTSEASON SCHEDULE
WED: Giants at Pirates, 8:07 p.m. (ESPN)
FRI: Game 1, Pirates at Nats, 12:07 p.m.,
OR Giants at Nats, 3:07 p.m. (FS1)
SAT: Game 2, PIT/SF at Nats, 5:37 p.m. (FS1)
MON: Game 3, Nats at PIT/SF, TBA (MLBN)
OCT. 7: Game 4, Nats at PIT/SF, TBA (FS1)*
OCT. 9: Game 5, PIT/SF at Nats, TBA (FS1)*
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Game thread: Who will advance in AL Wild Card game?
- Bryce Harper to play showcase in Japan after MLB playoffs
- MLB postseason begins tonight: Wild Card playoff preview
- 5 questions facing the Nationals in the postseason
- Nats finding ways to stay sharp (VIDEO)
- Games 1 and 2 at Nationals Park will be matinees
- Revisiting Opening Day predictions on the Nats
- Zimmermann named NL Player of the Week for 2nd time this year
- Nats' plan to stay fresh before Game 1 of the NLDS
- Denard Span sets Nats hits record to add to special day