Jul 17, 2010, 7:20 PM EST
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
The Nationals look to make it two in a row tonight at Sun Life Stadium.
MIAMI — How long had it been since the Nationals last shut out the Marlins in their home ballpark? Before last night's 4-0 victory, it previously occurred on Sept. 26, 2005, also a 4-0 win. The starting pitcher that night? Hector Carrasco. The big hit? A two-run double by Cristian Guzman, who went 3-for-4 to RAISE his batting average to .215.
So this was a rare occurrence indeed. And it may take another rare occurrence for the Nats to make it two in row tonight. That's because the Marlins send ace Josh Johnson to the mound, and arguably, there isn't a better pitcher on the planet right now. Overall, the right-hander is 9-3 with a 1.70 ERA. Over his last 14 starts, his ERA is 1.17.
The Nats did beat Johnson earlier this season, sort of. On May 8 at Nationals Park, the Nationals scored three runs in six innings against him and put him in line for the loss. A Gaby Sanchez homer off Tyler Clippard in the seventh took Johnson off the hook, but the Nationals (who sent Matt Chico to the mound that afternoon) ultimately came back to win, 5-4.
Livan Hernandez starts tonight for the Nats, looking to prove his outstanding first half was no fluke.
Check back for updates before, during and after the game…
NATIONALS at MARLINS
Where: Sun Life Stadium
Gametime: 7:10 p.m.
Radio: WFED-1500 AM, WWFD-820 AM
Weather: Partly cloudy, 86 degrees, Wind 12 mph RF to LF
CF Nyjer Morgan
RF Roger Bernadina
3B Ryan Zimmerman
1B Adam Dunn
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Bryce Harper on potential for $400M contract: 'Don't sell me short'
- Why does free agent Ian Desmond still remain unsigned?
- Nationals to give out Bryce Harper Chia Pets in 2016
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: Is Gott ready for a late-innings role?
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: Shawn Kelley adds needed depth to bullpen
- 2016 MLB roster outlook: Kansas City Royals
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: Will Michael Taylor become an everyday outfielder?
- Dusty Baker on Nationals: "Why not now, and why not me?"
- 2016 MLB roster outlook: Houston Astros
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: Can Tanner Roark bounce back as a starter?