Jul 18, 2010, 9:56 PM EDT
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Nyjer Morgan reached base four times the last two days but did not score.
MIAMI — Rick Eckstein can break down every at-bat by every one of his Nationals batters the last two days and point to those who did their job and were victims of bad luck and those who didn’t take the correct approach into a key at-bat.
In the end, Eckstein — like everyone else — knows the process is less important than the end result. All that really matters is this: The Nationals put a boatload of men on base over the weekend at Sun Life Stadium and could not bring a single one of them home.
“The game is based on execution when you’ve got runners in scoring position,” the second-year hitting coach said. “That’s the bottom line. We just didn’t execute the last few days. We had our opportunities, and we couldn’t capitalize on those opportunities.”
The offensive stats that produced consecutive losses to the Marlins of 2-0 and 1-0 were grisly. Despite 19 hits, the Nats scored zero runs. With runners in scoring position, they went 0-for-18. They didn’t produce one extra-base hit.
For more grisly details and more reaction from Eckstein and Jim Riggleman, go to CSNwashington.com.
NL EAST STANDINGS
TUE: Nats at Rockies, 8:40 p.m.
WED: Nats at Rockies, 3:10 p.m.
FRI: Nats at Reds, 7:10 p.m.
SAT: Nats at Reds, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Nats at Reds, 1:10 p.m.
MON: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Cliff Lee, A.J. Burnett also wouldn't mind being traded to the Nats
- Healthy Nationals lineup has become NL's best
- Around the NL East: Are the Phillies on the verge of a fire sale?
- Ian Desmond notches five hits, Nats rock Colorado
- Harper sits, Zimmerman in left as Nats face Rockies
- NL East: Lee and Cishek drawing interest on trade market
- Dan Uggla signs with the San Francisco Giants
- Nats fan sports 'Curly W' beard (PHOTO)
- State of the Nats: 9-game road trip begins Monday
- Resurgent Zimmerman leads Nats' potent lineup