Jul 18, 2010, 9:56 PM EDT
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Nyjer Morgan reached base four times the last two days but did not score.
MIAMI — Rick Eckstein can break down every at-bat by every one of his Nationals batters the last two days and point to those who did their job and were victims of bad luck and those who didn’t take the correct approach into a key at-bat.
In the end, Eckstein — like everyone else — knows the process is less important than the end result. All that really matters is this: The Nationals put a boatload of men on base over the weekend at Sun Life Stadium and could not bring a single one of them home.
“The game is based on execution when you’ve got runners in scoring position,” the second-year hitting coach said. “That’s the bottom line. We just didn’t execute the last few days. We had our opportunities, and we couldn’t capitalize on those opportunities.”
The offensive stats that produced consecutive losses to the Marlins of 2-0 and 1-0 were grisly. Despite 19 hits, the Nats scored zero runs. With runners in scoring position, they went 0-for-18. They didn’t produce one extra-base hit.
For more grisly details and more reaction from Eckstein and Jim Riggleman, go to CSNwashington.com.
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
NL POSTSEASON SCHEDULE
WED: Giants at Pirates, 8:07 p.m. (ESPN)
FRI: Game 1, Pirates at Nats, 12:07 p.m.,
OR Giants at Nats, 3:07 p.m. (FS1)
SAT: Game 2, PIT/SF at Nats, 5:37 p.m. (FS1)
MON: Game 3, Nats at PIT/SF, TBA (MLBN)
OCT. 7: Game 4, Nats at PIT/SF, TBA (FS1)*
OCT. 9: Game 5, PIT/SF at Nats, TBA (FS1)*
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Game thread: Who will advance in AL Wild Card game?
- Bryce Harper to play showcase in Japan after MLB playoffs
- MLB postseason begins tonight: Wild Card playoff preview
- 5 questions facing the Nationals in the postseason
- Nats finding ways to stay sharp (VIDEO)
- Games 1 and 2 at Nationals Park will be matinees
- Revisiting Opening Day predictions on the Nats
- Zimmermann named NL Player of the Week for 2nd time this year
- Nats' plan to stay fresh before Game 1 of the NLDS
- Denard Span sets Nats hits record to add to special day