Jul 18, 2010, 3:28 AM EDT
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Adam Kennedy is tagged out trying to score from second on a fourth-inning error.
MIAMI — Pick a moment, any moment, from tonight's 2-0 loss to the Marlins. Ian Desmond's dropped popup in the second. Adam Kennedy's out at the plate in the fourth. Ryan Zimmerman's home run-turned-foul ball in the seventh.
Now ask yourself: Had any of those plays gone the other way, would the outcome of this game have been different?
There's certainly reason to believe so. Unfortunately for the Nationals, all of those moments went the wrong way, and that's how you lose a ballgame in which you outhit the opposition, 11-4.
The Nats have experienced plenty of losses more crushing than this one, losses in which they blew a late lead, but this might have been among the most aggravating games of the season. You're not going to rack up 11 hits in a game started by Josh Johnson too often. To do that and still not win? Well, that feels like a golden opportunity slipping right through your fingers.
Livan Hernandez certainly deserved a better fate tonight. He turned in one of his best outings of the season — one earned run, four hits, six strikeouts in six innings — and had nothing to show for it at day's end. The big guy now owns a 3.27 ERA and 14 quality starts in 19 outings this season … yet his record is 6-6. Seven times this year heRead more »
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Report: Nats to interview former manager of year for open job
- Report: Former Nats player to interview for open manager job
- Mets, Cubs aim to clinch NLCS berths as playoffs continue
- Report: Nats interviewed former All-Star for manager position
- Nationals roster review: Michael Taylor
- Trio of Nats coaches will remain in organization
- MLB Playoffs continue with 4 Division Series games
- Roster review: Bryce Harper
- Important offseason dates to consider for the Nationals
- Ripken on Nats manager job: 'I'd answer the phone'