Jul 19, 2010, 1:55 AM EDT
MIAMI — As I alluded to in my postgame article on CSNwashington.com, Rick Eckstein takes his team's poor offensive performances just as hard (if not more) than his players. That's certainly understandable, because this is Eckstein's livelihood. He spends every waking moment working with hitters, studying video, thinking about swings and opposing pitchers. Hitting consumes his life.
Eckstein had some interesting things to say following today's 1-0 loss to the Marlins — the Nats' second straight shutout. I was able to use only a couple of the quotes in my earlier article, but I wanted to share the full transcript of Eckstein's interview with a couple of us inside the Nationals' clubhouse…
Q: What do you take out of this past few days?
A: The game is based on execution when you've got runners in scoring position. That's the bottom line. We just didn't execute the last few days. We had our opportunities, and we couldn't capitalize on those opportunities. To do a better job in the future, we have to capitalize on the situations execute. The bottom line is, find a way to get it done.
Q: Is there anything different in the approach in clutch spots?
A: Well, we're getting pitches to hit and we're just missing them. When you don't execute a situation, you can say whatever you want. The bottom line is, do you get the job done or not? The last two days, we were getting the job done with nobody on. But then when guys were on base, we weren't getting it done. Plain and simple. TypicallyRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Robinson's seventh-inning homer good enough for 2-1 win
- Gonzalez heads to the mound to start series vs. Giants
- Williams got Division Series out of mind quickly
- MLB Power Rankings: Nats, Astros making a push
- Wacky way for Scherzer to take another loss
- Scherzer goes distance, but controversial call hands Nats loss
- Scherzer looks to keep historic run going
- Warning: Harper's Body Issue cover will make you blush
- Nats sign 1st significant Latin prospect in years
- Around the NL East: Phillies hire MacPhail to help rebuild effort