Jul 20, 2010, 10:13 PM EST
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Pat Listach could get consideration for the Cubs' managerial job.
CINCINNATI — Several quick-hit items to share before tonight's game gets underway. (Though with rain falling, thunder booming and the tarp on the field, it's possible this one is delayed a bit.)…
– Jim Riggleman has Ian Desmond hitting second tonight, and the manager suggested it's something we could see more of the rest of the season. Though Desmond hasn't exactly torn the cover off the ball, it's tough for a National League rookie to bat eighth every single night. With the pitcher behind you, you rarely get much to hit. "I don't want to keep hitting him eighth. It's just that's the way our lineup was really set up," Riggleman said. "We didn't have anybody else to hit eighth, to tell you the truth. But we're going to try to get him out of the eighth spot a little bit more often and see if we can get him going at the top."
– Jordan Zimmermann, who was scratched from his rehab assignment last night with Class A Potomac due to a stiff neck, is now to due to pitch tomorrow. Mike Rizzo said Zimmermann slept funny and woke up feeling stiff yesterday, and though he felt good enough to pitch by late-afternoon, the GM decided it wasn't worth taking the risk. Zimmermann, who is in the final stages of rehab from Tommy John surgery, was examined today and checked out fine. He's yet to allow an earned run or issue a walk in nine total innings with Potomac to date.
– You may have heard that Cubs manager Lou Piniella announced today he'll retire at the end of the season. Riggleman, who along with Piniella lives in the Tampa area during the offseason, said he wasn'tRead more »
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2013 schedule (subject to change)...
TUE: 12:45 p.m., 4:30 p.m.
WED: 2:30 p.m.
THU: 4:30 p.m.
FRI: 12:45 p.m., 2:30 p.m.
SAT: 9:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com.
- Nats announce McLouth signing, DFA Corey Brown
- MLB's Rangers draft NFL quarterback Russell Wilson
- PHOTO: Jerry Blevins very excited to be a National
- Nationals lose catcher Nieto in Rule 5 draft
- Michael Morse signs with San Francisco Giants
- MLB rules committee votes to outlaw home plate collisions
- 3 deals in 10 days leave Nats in good shape
- Rizzo: Blevins was Nationals' best option
- Former Nats OF Jerry Hairston, Jr. retires from MLB
- Nats get lefty Blevins from A's for prospect