Jul 20, 2010, 10:13 PM EDT
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Pat Listach could get consideration for the Cubs' managerial job.
CINCINNATI — Several quick-hit items to share before tonight's game gets underway. (Though with rain falling, thunder booming and the tarp on the field, it's possible this one is delayed a bit.)…
– Jim Riggleman has Ian Desmond hitting second tonight, and the manager suggested it's something we could see more of the rest of the season. Though Desmond hasn't exactly torn the cover off the ball, it's tough for a National League rookie to bat eighth every single night. With the pitcher behind you, you rarely get much to hit. "I don't want to keep hitting him eighth. It's just that's the way our lineup was really set up," Riggleman said. "We didn't have anybody else to hit eighth, to tell you the truth. But we're going to try to get him out of the eighth spot a little bit more often and see if we can get him going at the top."
– Jordan Zimmermann, who was scratched from his rehab assignment last night with Class A Potomac due to a stiff neck, is now to due to pitch tomorrow. Mike Rizzo said Zimmermann slept funny and woke up feeling stiff yesterday, and though he felt good enough to pitch by late-afternoon, the GM decided it wasn't worth taking the risk. Zimmermann, who is in the final stages of rehab from Tommy John surgery, was examined today and checked out fine. He's yet to allow an earned run or issue a walk in nine total innings with Potomac to date.
– You may have heard that Cubs manager Lou Piniella announced today he'll retire at the end of the season. Riggleman, who along with Piniella lives in the Tampa area during the offseason, said he wasn'tRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
NL PLAYOFFS STANDINGS
FRI: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
SAT: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
SUN: Nats at Marlins, 1:10 p.m.
TUE: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
WED: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
THU: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Gonzalez makes case for postseason start
- Bryce, Gio continue late-season surge in 6-2 win
- NL Playoff Outlook: What stars will give the Nationals trouble?
- LaRoche gets extra day off to rest ailing back
- MLB Power Rankings: Tigers righting the ship
- Michael Jenkins takes walkoff pie to the face (VIDEO)
- Nats move on to Miami with Gio starting in hometown
- PHOTO: Kevin Durant rocks a Nats jersey
- UPDATE: Nats DFA Perez, claim Twins shortstop
- If healthy, Zimmerman should be in Nats lineup