Jul 20, 2010, 12:10 AM EDT
CINCINNATI — By any statistical measure, Nyjer Morgan is having the worst season of his career. And at this stage of the summer, it’s going to be difficult for the Nationals’ center fielder to turn things completely around and salvage some final numbers close to his career norm.
But if you’re looking for the slightest glimmer of hope that Morgan might be starting to figure things out and recapturing the form that made him such a valuable part of last year’s roster, it has come over the last three weeks.
Entering tonight, Morgan was hitting .293 with a .346 on-base percentage over his last 18 games, a stretch that also includes six stolen bases in eight attempts, better defense and leaves the effervescent leadoff man feeling good about himself again.
“Yeah, the planets are starting to line up, right?” he said with a laugh. “I’m just trying to finish off the second half strong. I’m just trying to make it happen.”
Read more about what changes Morgan has made to try to get himself going again on CSNwashington.com.
NL EAST STANDINGS
MON: Nats at Dodgers, 8:10 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Dodgers, 10:10 p.m.
WED: Nats at Dodgers, 3:10 p.m.
FRI: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SAT: Phillies at Nats, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Phillies at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Three homers not enough in 5-3 Nationals loss to Seattle
- Nationals go for series sweep in Seattle
- Strasburg pitches gem as Nats beat Mariners 3-1
- Manny Pacquiao to throw first pitch before Nats-Dodgers game
- Mets could lose Murphy for rest of season
- Nats blast King Felix, open series vs. Mariners with win
- Zimmermann, Nats get huge test with King Felix out in Seattle
- Nats extend contract with Single-A Hagerstown
- The Baseball Show: Williams for Manager of the Year?
- MLB Power Rankings: L.A. Angels flying high