Jul 20, 2010, 12:10 AM EDT
CINCINNATI — By any statistical measure, Nyjer Morgan is having the worst season of his career. And at this stage of the summer, it’s going to be difficult for the Nationals’ center fielder to turn things completely around and salvage some final numbers close to his career norm.
But if you’re looking for the slightest glimmer of hope that Morgan might be starting to figure things out and recapturing the form that made him such a valuable part of last year’s roster, it has come over the last three weeks.
Entering tonight, Morgan was hitting .293 with a .346 on-base percentage over his last 18 games, a stretch that also includes six stolen bases in eight attempts, better defense and leaves the effervescent leadoff man feeling good about himself again.
“Yeah, the planets are starting to line up, right?” he said with a laugh. “I’m just trying to finish off the second half strong. I’m just trying to make it happen.”
Read more about what changes Morgan has made to try to get himself going again on CSNwashington.com.
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals roster review: Tanner Roark
- Span will return to Nats, LaRoche & Soriano won't
- Trio of Nationals players become free agents
- Bumgarner, Giants beat KC 3-2 in Series Game 7
- Nationals roster review: Gio Gonzalez
- Giants, Royals battle in Game 7 for 2014 World Series title
- Nationals roster review: Doug Fister
- Royals hammer Peavy, Giants to force Game 7
- Giants can clinch 3rd World Series in 5 years in Game 6 at KC
- Ohlendorf taken off Nats' roster, becomes free agent