Jul 20, 2010, 4:28 AM EDT
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Ivan Rodriguez has fallen into a prolonged slump after his hot start to the season.
CINCINNATI — Over the course of 20 seasons in the big leagues, Ivan Rodriguez has experienced every possible scenario on the baseball field and in the clubhouse. He's won, he's lost, he's gone through hot streaks, he's gone through long slumps.
And in that time, Pudge knows one thing for certain about dealing with prolonged lows.
"You cannot be frustrated," he said. "If you're frustrated, things are going to be worse."
How can the Nationals, though, not be frustrated the way things have played out since the All-Star break? Four games, three losses, six total runs scored. That should cause anybody in uniform to pull out whatever remaining hair he has.
Rodriguez insists these Nationals haven't fallen into that trap. They remain upbeat, despite plenty of reason not to be.
"Absolutely," he said. "Absolutely. Of course. Nobody here gives up. I've never seen nobody here with their head down or giving up. Nobody. There's still a lot of games to go. This is a good team and aRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
TUE: Nats at Dodgers, 10:10 p.m.
WED: Nats at Dodgers, 3:10 p.m.
FRI: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SAT: Phillies at Nats, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Phillies at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
MON: Braves at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals hold on to beat Dodgers, open big series with win
- Phillies call up top prospect for September
- Nationals open big series in Los Angeles
- Astros fire manager Bo Porter, who came from Nats
- Nationals promote 6 players in September call-ups
- State of the Nats: Nationals-Dodgers could be playoff preview
- Nats' numbers in August were off the charts
- Three homers not enough in 5-3 Nationals loss to Seattle
- Nationals go for series sweep in Seattle
- Strasburg pitches gem as Nats beat Mariners 3-1