Jul 21, 2010, 8:47 PM EDT
Updated at 6:18 p.m.
CINCINNATI — Luis Atilano, who hasn't produced a quality start in nearly a month, is "unlikely" to make his next scheduled start due to an arm issue according to manager Jim Riggleman.
Riggleman said the rookie right-hander, who allowed five runs in four innings last night, appears to be dealing with some kind of discomfort. It's not known whether it's from an injury or a "dead arm;" Atilano hasn't undergone an MRI at this point.
"After the game last night, [pitching coach] Steve McCatty said he just felt that Atilano was not feeling well," Riggleman said. "His arm was tender, and this and that. Whether or not he makes his next start will be after further conversation with him and watching him throw out here today, to see if he's firing the ball around or if he says 'my arm is dead' or if he's just got a tired arm."
Riggleman said Atilano will throw his regular between-starts bullpen session tomorrow, after which the club will make a decision. Atilano is slated to pitch Sunday in Milwaukee. If he can't go, the Nationals would have to find a starter in the minors. Ross Detwiler, the strongest candidate for a promotion, probably wouldn't be availableRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
Through Tuesday's games
NL PLAYOFFS STANDINGS
y-Clinched playoff berth
Through Tuesday's early games
WED: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
THU: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
FRI: Marlins at Nats (DH), 1:05 p.m., 7:05 p.m.
SAT: Marlins at Nats, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Marlins at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
(End of regular season)
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals return home for 4-2 over Mets
- Span leaves Tuesday's game with possible injury
- Division champ Nats come home for final week
- Zimmermann may be pushed back a day with bruised shoulder
- Zimmerman sits out vs. Mets after feeling soreness over weekend
- Around the NL East: Big offseasons ahead
- Predicting who makes the Nationals' playoff roster
- Yankees claim former Nats OF prospect off waivers
- State of the Nats: Final week before playoffs brings tough decisions
- Braves fire GM Frank Wren after missing playoff