Jul 21, 2010, 8:47 PM EDT
Updated at 6:18 p.m.
CINCINNATI — Luis Atilano, who hasn't produced a quality start in nearly a month, is "unlikely" to make his next scheduled start due to an arm issue according to manager Jim Riggleman.
Riggleman said the rookie right-hander, who allowed five runs in four innings last night, appears to be dealing with some kind of discomfort. It's not known whether it's from an injury or a "dead arm;" Atilano hasn't undergone an MRI at this point.
"After the game last night, [pitching coach] Steve McCatty said he just felt that Atilano was not feeling well," Riggleman said. "His arm was tender, and this and that. Whether or not he makes his next start will be after further conversation with him and watching him throw out here today, to see if he's firing the ball around or if he says 'my arm is dead' or if he's just got a tired arm."
Riggleman said Atilano will throw his regular between-starts bullpen session tomorrow, after which the club will make a decision. Atilano is slated to pitch Sunday in Milwaukee. If he can't go, the Nationals would have to find a starter in the minors. Ross Detwiler, the strongest candidate for a promotion, probably wouldn't be availableRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
x-Clinched division title
THU: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
FRI: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
SAT: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
SUN: Nats at Marlins, 1:10 p.m.
TUE: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
WED: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- If healthy, Zimmerman should be in Nats lineup
- Post-clinch, Nationals rookies get chance to shine
- Nationals' backups fall to Braves in series finale in Atlanta
- Nats will keep playing, try to secure No. 1 seed
- Nationals going with all backups tonight vs. Braves
- Nationals' division titles are no small achievement
- Nationals Stock Watch: NL East champs have plenty of risers
- Matt Williams quotes Robert Frost in postgame speech (VIDEO)
- VIDEO: Nats celebrate NL East title with loud music, lots of beer
- Nationals players react to winning NL East on Twitter