Jul 21, 2010, 8:47 PM EST
Updated at 6:18 p.m.
CINCINNATI — Luis Atilano, who hasn't produced a quality start in nearly a month, is "unlikely" to make his next scheduled start due to an arm issue according to manager Jim Riggleman.
Riggleman said the rookie right-hander, who allowed five runs in four innings last night, appears to be dealing with some kind of discomfort. It's not known whether it's from an injury or a "dead arm;" Atilano hasn't undergone an MRI at this point.
"After the game last night, [pitching coach] Steve McCatty said he just felt that Atilano was not feeling well," Riggleman said. "His arm was tender, and this and that. Whether or not he makes his next start will be after further conversation with him and watching him throw out here today, to see if he's firing the ball around or if he says 'my arm is dead' or if he's just got a tired arm."
Riggleman said Atilano will throw his regular between-starts bullpen session tomorrow, after which the club will make a decision. Atilano is slated to pitch Sunday in Milwaukee. If he can't go, the Nationals would have to find a starter in the minors. Ross Detwiler, the strongest candidate for a promotion, probably wouldn't be availableRead more »
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Trade official, Turner can't join Nats til June
- Moore, Taylor hope to be in mix for Nats' bench spots
- Report: Braves continue makeover, trade star OF Justin Upton
- Drew Storen goes 1-on-1 with Mark Zuckerman at NatsFest
- Winter Classic rink construction well underway at Nats Park
- Nats recall NLDS, watching Giants win World Series
- 'Baseball in the District' - Kurkjian, Zuckerman & Corcoran talk Nats
- How the Nats' trade impacts Desmond's future
- Nats trade Souza in 3-team deal, get Turner from Padres
- Report: Mets may not pitch Harvey vs. Nats on Opening Day