Jul 21, 2010, 5:51 AM EST
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Luis Atilano can't corral Mike Leake's fourth-inning comebacker.
CINCINNATI — Adam Dunn sat in a folding chair in the middle of the Nationals' clubhouse, hunched over a laptop screen and watching video of Bronson Arroyo, the Reds' next scheduled starter. Josh Willingham sat right next to him, doing exactly the same thing.
The clock nearly read 1 a.m., the Nats had just endured an 8-7 loss that included a 2-hour, 40-minute rain delay and ended on a controversial third strike call with Dunn at the plate.
No one would have faulted Dunn had he just quickly showered, dressed and departed for the team hotel. Yet he was determined to linger around, determined to move beyond this exhausting loss and immediately start preparing for the next night's game.
In a town where he often was accused of not caring enough, Adam Dunn certainly didn't look like a guy who dislikes baseball.
Perhaps that's because he's playing on a team full of guys who demand hard work from themselves and from their teammates, no matter what the standings say.
"Ever since I've been up here, that's the one thing I've noticed about this team," Dunn said. "It would be very easy — last year, this year — to just kind of pack it in, with a game like this especially. And notRead more »
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- How much will the Nationals miss LaRoche?
- Report: Yankees tried to trade for Phillies SS Jimmy Rollins
- A reason for each MLB team to be thankful this Thanksgiving
- Who's better right now?
- Point/Counterpoint: Biggest threat in NL East in 2015?
- Nats' Fedde hits milestone in Tommy John recovery
- Charlie Manuel almost returned to baseball as O's hitting coach
- How much money can the Nats spend this winter?
- With Hamels trade rumors, Phillies are staying patient
- MLB postseason shares released, including Nats