Jul 21, 2010, 12:35 AM EDT
[UPDATED AT 10:23 P.M.]
CINCINNATI — The Nationals have agreed to terms with top Cuban right-hander Yuneski Maya, pending a physical. Club officials would not confirm the signing, though they also wouldn't deny a report of the signing by ESPNdeportes.com, and general manager Mike Rizzo spoke openly about the abilities of a pitcher who could join the Nats' rotation within weeks.
Maya, 28, defected from his native Cuba to the Dominican Republic last year and was recently cleared by the U.S. government to sign with a major-league club. He has been working out and pitching in simulated games in the Dominican, scouted by numerous clubs including the Red Sox, Indians, Phillies, Blue Jays, Mets and Yankees.
Rizzo said Maya is polished enough and in good enough condition to pitch in the majors within a matter of weeks.
"We do," Rizzo said. "We think he's capable of pitching in the major leagues very soon. We have to see where he's at. After he signs, he'll have to work his way up into a rotation, I would assume. But all the guys who have seen him, all the scouts who have evaluated him, thinkRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Escobar leaves Nats game with hand injury
- Nats weighing options for starter to replace Scherzer
- Rendon scratched from minor league rehab game
- Marlins DFA former big free agent signing
- Nats hope lineup tweak will spark offense
- Cedeno on the move again, one week after Nats traded him
- State of the Nats: Looking up in the standings
- When will slow-developing bats come around?
- At 7-12, Nationals still searching for answers
- Marlins 6, Nats 2: Another misplay opens the floodgates