Jul 22, 2010, 4:26 AM EDT
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Stephen Strasburg allowed three runs but struck out seven Reds batters.
CINCINNATI — As he walked off the field at Great American Ball Park in the sixth inning tonight, his Nationals leading the Reds 7-3, Stephen Strasburg was surprised to hear a fan behind the dugout get on his case for merely looking like a very good mortal pitcher.
The soft-spoken rookie stared at the guy and responded: “Look at the scoreboard.”
Inside the Nationals dugout, Strasburg’s teammates perked up.
“I was like, ‘Yeah! Tell him, Stras!'” Willie Harris said. “When you see stuff like that, it shows you he’s getting comfortable. He’s believing in himself. That’s huge for him and that’s huge for us.”
As you can read on CSNwashington.com, imagine what level Strasburg can take his game to once he really gets comfortable.
NL EAST STANDINGS
FRI: Giants at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SAT: Giants at Nats, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Giants at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
MON: Nats at Phillies, 7:05 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Phillies, 7:05 p.m.
WED: Nats at Phillies, 7:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- With help from his alter ego, Span again sparks Nats to win
- Gonzalez, Nats win pitchers duel on another walk-off
- Nats' Zimmerman takes significant step in recovery
- Nationals aim for team record 10th straight win vs. D-Backs
- Nationals' 9-game win streak is "absolutely epic"
- Are Nationals finally playing to full potential? (VIDEO)
- Mo'ne Davis and company have one more chance
- Young guns bat, slide Nationals to ninth-straight win
- Matt Williams projects when Ryan Zimmerman will return
- Span tabs Nats teammate & rival to do ice bucket challenge