Jul 24, 2010, 4:26 PM EDT
Photo courtesy Milwaukee Brewers
It's game two of three this evening at Miller Park.
Updated below with starting lineups
I'm not sure what it says that for a team that boasts Stephen Strasburg, Adam Dunn, Ryan Zimmerman and Ivan Rodriguez, the player drawing the most attention from fans right now is Michael Morse. Certainly, it says the guy has been producing just about every time he's been called upon this season (which hasn't been nearly as often as most people would like).
Though I have to admit: It baffles me a bit how much people think more playing time for Morse is the answer to all of the Nationals' woes. Why did the Nats lose last night's game, 7-5, to the Brewers? Because Craig Stammen wore down by the fifth inning. Because Tyler Clippard and Sean Burnett couldn't hold a lead. And because one batter reached base over the game's final five innings.
Does Morse (now batting .338 with a 1.022 OPS) deserve to play more? Sure. And he'll almost certainly be in the lineup tonight against Milwaukee left-hander Manny Parra. But is his presence alone going to turn the Nationals' fortunes around? Seems hard to believe that.
In other news … you may have read by now that Mike Rizzo revealed Jim Riggleman will be back as manager next season. Which, I suppose, is good to know. There won't be any question about Riggleman's future the rest of the season and no managerial search this fall. But this isn't as earth-shattering a development as you might think. Riggleman was given a two-year contract last winter. He wasRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Taylor sent down to Syracuse, hopes to develop consistency
- Nats activate Span off disabled list for Sunday's game
- Strasburg starts as Nats host Phillies in series finale
- Zimmermann still trying to find groove
- Embattled Desmond: "I'm gonna get through it"
- Span likely to make season debut Sunday
- Phillies 5, Nats 3: Desmond's woes open door for Phillies
- Nats waiting for MRI on Escobar's groin strain
- Zimmermann tries to lead Nats to 4th straight W
- Impressive Scherzer giving Nats lots of innings