Jul 24, 2010, 4:26 PM EDT
Photo courtesy Milwaukee Brewers
It's game two of three this evening at Miller Park.
Updated below with starting lineups
I'm not sure what it says that for a team that boasts Stephen Strasburg, Adam Dunn, Ryan Zimmerman and Ivan Rodriguez, the player drawing the most attention from fans right now is Michael Morse. Certainly, it says the guy has been producing just about every time he's been called upon this season (which hasn't been nearly as often as most people would like).
Though I have to admit: It baffles me a bit how much people think more playing time for Morse is the answer to all of the Nationals' woes. Why did the Nats lose last night's game, 7-5, to the Brewers? Because Craig Stammen wore down by the fifth inning. Because Tyler Clippard and Sean Burnett couldn't hold a lead. And because one batter reached base over the game's final five innings.
Does Morse (now batting .338 with a 1.022 OPS) deserve to play more? Sure. And he'll almost certainly be in the lineup tonight against Milwaukee left-hander Manny Parra. But is his presence alone going to turn the Nationals' fortunes around? Seems hard to believe that.
In other news … you may have read by now that Mike Rizzo revealed Jim Riggleman will be back as manager next season. Which, I suppose, is good to know. There won't be any question about Riggleman's future the rest of the season and no managerial search this fall. But this isn't as earth-shattering a development as you might think. Riggleman was given a two-year contract last winter. He wasRead more »
COUNTDOWN TO OPENING DAY
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Mark Zuckerman joins STL to talk about Nats' injury problems
- Janssen unlikely for opener with shoulder tendinitis
- Knee injury concerns go next level for Anthony Rendon
- Nats sign veteran outfielder recently cut by Marlins
- Nats trade lefty reliever to Mets for veteran outfielder
- Storen leaves game with blister on big toe
- Mets find lefty relief help in trade with Padres
- Jordan gets chance to face Cardinals
- Report: Mets strill trying to trade veteran starter
- Nats trade veteran catcher to Red Sox