Jul 27, 2010, 7:18 PM EDT
The Nationals announced today they will honor recent Hall of Fame inductee Andre Dawson before their August 10 game against the Marlins, the first notable effort made by the franchise to recognize its former existence as the Montreal Expos.
Dawson, whose plaque in Cooperstown features an Expos hat, now serves as a front office executive with the Marlins; thus the reason for holding the event while Florida is in town.
Since their arrival in the District in 2005, the Nationals have struggled to determine what history to associate themselves with. They have embraced both versions of the Senators — the original club that moved to Minnesota in 1961 and the expansion club that moved to Texas in 1972 — and fly pennants above the scoreboard honoring the 1924 World Series champs and 1933 American League champs. They also have three statues in center field depicting Walter Johnson and Frank Howard of the Senators and Josh Gibson of the Homestead Grays (who split their time in the Negro Leagues between D.C. and Homestead, Pa.).
To date, though, there has been no recognition of the Expos, aside from one listing of franchise records in their media guide that includes Montreal stats from 1969-2004 and Washington stats since 2005.
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com.
- Fister could be ready for season's first week
- Zimmermann leads Nats against Yankees' Sabathia
- Injuries highlight the importance of rotation depth
- Gio Gonzalez starts strong, but Astros top Nationals
- Bryce Harper repping new eye black company
- Gonzalez faces Astros under the lights in Viera
- Should Desmond be the Nationals' No. 2 hitter?
- Strasburg settles down, Nats rout Cardinals 11-1
- Strasburg leads Nationals against Cardinals
- Skole among first round of cuts at Nats camp