Jul 27, 2010, 7:18 PM EST
The Nationals announced today they will honor recent Hall of Fame inductee Andre Dawson before their August 10 game against the Marlins, the first notable effort made by the franchise to recognize its former existence as the Montreal Expos.
Dawson, whose plaque in Cooperstown features an Expos hat, now serves as a front office executive with the Marlins; thus the reason for holding the event while Florida is in town.
Since their arrival in the District in 2005, the Nationals have struggled to determine what history to associate themselves with. They have embraced both versions of the Senators — the original club that moved to Minnesota in 1961 and the expansion club that moved to Texas in 1972 — and fly pennants above the scoreboard honoring the 1924 World Series champs and 1933 American League champs. They also have three statues in center field depicting Walter Johnson and Frank Howard of the Senators and Josh Gibson of the Homestead Grays (who split their time in the Negro Leagues between D.C. and Homestead, Pa.).
To date, though, there has been no recognition of the Expos, aside from one listing of franchise records in their media guide that includes Montreal stats from 1969-2004 and Washington stats since 2005.
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2013 schedule (subject to change)...
TUE: 12:45 p.m., 4:30 p.m.
WED: 2:30 p.m.
THU: 4:30 p.m.
FRI: 12:45 p.m., 2:30 p.m.
SAT: 9:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com.
- Nats get lefty Blevins from A's for prospect
- Williams wants Davey to come to spring training
- Will Nats make amends for 2013? (VIDEO)
- Williams contemplates look of Nationals' lineup
- MLB to discuss home plate collisions at Winter Meetings
- Wilson, Blevins among Nationals trade targets
- Rizzo: Nats aren't trading Clippard, Storen, Span
- 6 weeks into MLB offseason and free agents are going fast
- Williams on Harper, Strasburg and more
- Nats GM Mike Rizzo on lefty reliever market (VIDEO)