Jul 27, 2010, 11:06 PM EDT
(Here's the final version of my Strasburg story on CSNwashington.com, including the quote of the year from Miguel Batista. You'll have to click on the story to read it, but let's just say it immediately brought to mind Julian Tavarez's infamous Jennifer Lopez quote from last spring.)
Stephen Strasburg was a last-minute scratch from his scheduled start tonight against the Braves. Miguel Batista took his place and took the mound before a stunned, sellout crowd of 40,043 at Nationals Park that booed when the veteran reliever was announced as the starter.
Strasburg did warm up in the right field bullpen prior to the game. At some point (approximately 6:50 p.m.) he departed with a trainer and Batista took over.
The Nationals made no immediate announcement about why Strasburg was scratched.
Obviously, more to come as we find out…
UPDATE AT 7:26 P.M. — Mike Rizzo says Strasburg was scratched because he was having trouble getting loose in the bullpen prior to this start. Rizzo said he made the decision himself and said it was precautionary. Strasburg will be examined by team doctors and will receive an X-ray and MRI. At this point, he's day-to-day and the club isn't making any declarations about when his next start will take place.
More quotes from Rizzo coming up…
UPDATE AT 7:35 P.M. — Here is the complete transcript of Mike Rizzo's media session in the press box right after tonight's game started…Read more »
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com.
- Instant analysis: Padres 4, Nats 3 (12)
- Injury updates on Gio Gonzalez, Doug Fister & Scott Hairston
- Nationals host Padres in first of four-game series
- MLB Power Rankings: Rangers moving up the ladder
- Deconstructing the Nationals' game-winning rally
- Gio Gonzalez pulled from Nats' win with left shoulder tightness
- LaRoche's walk-off hit saves Nationals from sweep vs. Angels
- Former Senators pitcher Connie Marrero passes away
- Injury updates on Zimmerman and Hairston
- Baseball in the District: Thom Loverro of ESPN 980 talks Nats