Jul 27, 2010, 8:37 PM EST
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Tyler Walker expects to have season-ending labrum surgery this week.
Reliever Tyler Walker has a torn labrum in his right shoulder, one that will almost certainly require season-ending surgery later this week.
Walker, who has been on the disabled list since late-June with inflammation in the shoulder, was shut down from his rehab program last week after experiencing more pain. An MRI taken in Washington revealed the labrum tear. He's scheduled to be examined Thursday in Birmingham by orthopedist James Andrews, who will then decide whether surgery is necessary.
Walker seems resigned to the fact the procedure will happen Friday.
"Hopefully it will be the mother of all shoulder surgeries, the last one hopefully," said the 34-year-old right-hander, who had labrum surgery in 2000 while a minor-leaguer with the Mets.
Recovery time from surgery is six-to-eight months, so Walker could be back pitching off a mound by spring training and be ready to pitchRead more »
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals sign veteran infielder to minor league deal
- 2016 MLB roster outlook: Detroit Tigers
- 2016 MLB roster outlook: Colorado Rockies
- 2016 MLB roster outlook: Cleveland Indians
- Report: All-Star catcher Lucroy has Nats on no-trade list
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: Max Scherzer more important in Year 2
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: An important year for Wilson Ramos
- NL East: Phillies add new alternate uniform for 2016 (PHOTOS)
- NL East: Marlins interested in adding another starting pitcher
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: Can Ben Revere fill void left by Span?