Jul 27, 2010, 8:37 PM EDT
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Tyler Walker expects to have season-ending labrum surgery this week.
Reliever Tyler Walker has a torn labrum in his right shoulder, one that will almost certainly require season-ending surgery later this week.
Walker, who has been on the disabled list since late-June with inflammation in the shoulder, was shut down from his rehab program last week after experiencing more pain. An MRI taken in Washington revealed the labrum tear. He's scheduled to be examined Thursday in Birmingham by orthopedist James Andrews, who will then decide whether surgery is necessary.
Walker seems resigned to the fact the procedure will happen Friday.
"Hopefully it will be the mother of all shoulder surgeries, the last one hopefully," said the 34-year-old right-hander, who had labrum surgery in 2000 while a minor-leaguer with the Mets.
Recovery time from surgery is six-to-eight months, so Walker could be back pitching off a mound by spring training and be ready to pitchRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
WED: Nats at Marlins, 12:40 p.m.
THU: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
FRI: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SAT: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SUN: Phillies at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
MON: Orioles at Nats, 7:05 p.m. TUE: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Bryce Harper rediscovers his hitting stroke
- Nationals need win today to avoid losing road trip
- Depleted Nationals lineup shut out by Marlins
- Nationals can't fight back against Marlins, lose 3-0
- Werth out but says ankle sprain isn't serious
- Strasburg takes mound for big start vs. Marlins
- Zimmermann returns to form in dominant start
- Around the NL East: Which team will make a big splash via trade?
- After meltdown, Nationals must bounce back
- Werth hopes to play Tuesday after spraining ankle