Jul 28, 2010, 4:25 PM EST
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Nyjer Morgan is hitting .298 with 12 steals over his last 26 games.
Lost amid all the hubbub over Miss Iowa replacing Miss Universe on the mound last night was another impressive performance from Nyjer Morgan, who single-handedly scored the Nationals' first run.
Morgan led off the bottom of the first by singling, stealing second, stealing third and then scoring when Brian McCann's throw sailed into left field. It set the tone for the evening and it let everyone in the ballpark know the Nats weren't simply going to roll over and play dead because Strasburg had a stiff shoulder.
"I think him getting on base immediately picked the whole ballclub up," Jim Riggleman said.
This wasn't, however, a one-time anomaly for Morgan. For more than a month now, the man who served as the Nationals' biggest goat of the first half has resurrected himself with a prolonged performance that brings back memories of his fabulous 2009.
Over his last 26 games, dating back to that June 25 game in Baltimore when he robbed Corey Patterson of a home run, Morgan's numbers are impressive across the board. He's batting .298 (31-for-104). His on-base percentage is .345. He's notched 10 RBI,Read more »
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Trade official, Turner can't join Nats til June
- Moore, Taylor hope to be in mix for Nats' bench spots
- Report: Braves continue makeover, trade star OF Justin Upton
- Drew Storen goes 1-on-1 with Mark Zuckerman at NatsFest
- Winter Classic rink construction well underway at Nats Park
- Nats recall NLDS, watching Giants win World Series
- 'Baseball in the District' - Kurkjian, Zuckerman & Corcoran talk Nats
- How the Nats' trade impacts Desmond's future
- Nats trade Souza in 3-team deal, get Turner from Padres
- Report: Mets may not pitch Harvey vs. Nats on Opening Day