Jul 28, 2010, 4:15 AM EDT
File photo by Rachel Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Stephen Strasburg never made it to the mound tonight due to a stiff shoulder.
It went undetected to most every one of the 40,043 who paid to enter Nationals Park tonight assuming they'd see Stephen Strasburg take on the Braves. Not until Miguel Batista took the mound at 7:06 p.m. and was announced as the Nationals' starting pitcher did everyone realize what was going on.
Many in the crowd booed.
"Imagine, if you go there to see Miss Universe and you end up having Miss Iowa, you might get those kind of boos," Batista said in perhaps the one-liner of the year. "But it's OK. They had to understand that as an organization we have to make sure the kid is fine."
That was the prevailing sentiment at the end of the night. Whether Strasburg is seriously injured or not — and initial signs point to it being nothing more than some shoulder inflammation — the Nationals intend to take the cautious route with their $15.1 million investment.
Which means there's a very real possibility he's thrown his last pitch of the season.
Mike Rizzo wouldn't make any declarations like that after tonight's game — which, it should be noted, featured fabulous performances by Miguel Batista, Sean Burnett, Drew Storen, Matt Capps, Nyjer Morgan and Ian Desmond that resulted in a 3-0 victory — but the generalRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Biggest key to Papelbon trade is Storen
- One MLB columnist expects Lucas Giolito to be dominant in 2020
- Fernandez remains perfect in Miami, Marlins top Nats 4-1
- Tyler Clippard says chasing down the 'beatable' Nats will be 'a lot of fun'
- Nationals acquire Jonathan Papelbon for minor leaguer
- Werth, Zimmerman activated off DL
- Watching baseball with Obama
- Report: Nats 'making progress' in trade for All-Star closer
- Around the NL East: Are Mets moves enough to catch Nats?
- Troy Tulowitzki traded to AL East team in blockbuster deal