Jul 28, 2010, 4:15 AM EDT
File photo by Rachel Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Stephen Strasburg never made it to the mound tonight due to a stiff shoulder.
It went undetected to most every one of the 40,043 who paid to enter Nationals Park tonight assuming they'd see Stephen Strasburg take on the Braves. Not until Miguel Batista took the mound at 7:06 p.m. and was announced as the Nationals' starting pitcher did everyone realize what was going on.
Many in the crowd booed.
"Imagine, if you go there to see Miss Universe and you end up having Miss Iowa, you might get those kind of boos," Batista said in perhaps the one-liner of the year. "But it's OK. They had to understand that as an organization we have to make sure the kid is fine."
That was the prevailing sentiment at the end of the night. Whether Strasburg is seriously injured or not — and initial signs point to it being nothing more than some shoulder inflammation — the Nationals intend to take the cautious route with their $15.1 million investment.
Which means there's a very real possibility he's thrown his last pitch of the season.
Mike Rizzo wouldn't make any declarations like that after tonight's game — which, it should be noted, featured fabulous performances by Miguel Batista, Sean Burnett, Drew Storen, Matt Capps, Nyjer Morgan and Ian Desmond that resulted in a 3-0 victory — but the generalRead more »
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com.
- Braves fear both Medlen and Beachy need Tommy John
- Nats' Jordan takes on fearsome Tigers lineup
- Mets Wheeler admits it's hard not to think about 2015
- The Baseball Show: How good will Bryce Harper be in 2014?
- Podcast: Baseball in The District - Sammy Solis talks spring
- Harper, Detwiler lead Nationals against Mets
- Purke, Taylor among latest round of Nats cuts
- Has Jimmy Rollins been benched in Philly?
- Roark gives up 3 runs in Nats loss
- Nationals split up to face Astros, Braves