Jul 28, 2010, 8:10 PM EST
[Here's my story on CSNwashington.com stating it's unlikely Strasburg will start Sunday against the Phillies.]
The Nationals have decided to shut down Stephen Strasburg for at least a couple of days while waiting to see if his right shoulder feels better, electing to take a continued cautious route with the rookie pitcher, who was a last-minute scratch from his scheduled start last night.
Manager Jim Riggleman wouldn't rule out the possibility of Strasburg pitching on schedule Sunday against the Phillies, but he would need to throw a bullpen session within a few days to be cleared for that.
UPDATE AT 5:40 P.M. — Here are some of the key quotes from Riggleman's pregame press conference…
On when Strasburg will next start: "We don't have an update whether he's going to pitch Sunday or when he'll pitch again if not Sunday. We're just really going to give it another day or two before we do anything like that."
When would he need to throw this week to be ready to start Sunday? "Basically, we're going to watch him play catch in the outfield before he goes to the bullpen and throws. If all that takes place in time forRead more »
PITCHERS AND CATCHERS REPORT IN
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- PHOTO: Max Scherzer takes out full-page ad to thank Tigers fans
- Braves claim former Nats prospect off waivers from Yankees
- Washington Nationals 2015 roster preview: Anthony Rendon
- Former Nats pitcher Ross Ohlendorf follows Detwiler to Rangers
- PHOTOS: Bryce Harper attends Clippers game, meets Blake Griffin
- Big decisions to make for Nats after Scherzer signing
- Scherzer talked to Fister, Thornton before joining Nationals
- Ichiro Suzuki, former Nats OF Jonny Gomes land in NL East
- Boras' 'internal rating' system says Nats have MLB's best rotation
- Nationals sign former All-Star reliever to minor league deal