Jul 30, 2010, 2:27 AM EDT
Updated at 12:20 a.m.
The Nationals have traded closer Matt Capps to the Minnesota Twins in exchange for 22-year-old catcher Wilson Ramos and minor-league left-hander Joe Testa.
Ramos is a highly touted catcher who was rated by Baseball America as the Twins' second-best prospect and baseball's 58th-best prospect entering the season and was among the players being discussed when Minnesota was trying to acquire pitcher Cliff Lee from the Mariners. A native of Venezuela, he is a career .284 hitter in parts of five minor-league seasons who appeared in eight big-league games earlier this season and went 8-for-27 with three doubles. He'll report to Class AAA Syracuse but figures to be a strong candidate for a September call-up.
Testa, a 24-year-old reliever, owns a career 3.33 ERA in three minor-league seasons. In 36 games between Class A and Class AA this year, he's a combined 2-5 with a 5.50 ERA. He'll report to Class A Potomac.
Capps' departure comes after the 26-year-old resurrected his career to earn 26 saves and an All-Star berth after getting nontendered by the Pirates in December. The Nationals signed him later that month to a one-year, $3.5 million contract. He would still have been underRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- MLB Power Rankings: Hamels, Price, Tulo all get traded
- A formula that could work wonders for Nats
- Nats ride strong pitching to shutout win
- Scherzer on mound as Nats try to take series
- Papelbon aiming for saves record, hopes to co-exist with Storen
- On Harper's blasts and Nats' new-look pen
- Report: Phillies trade Cole Hamels to AL West team
- Mets SS cries on field after learning of trade that didn't happen
- Harper homers twice into upper deck, Nats beat Marlins 7-2
- Report: Mets' trade for All-Star falls through