Jul 31, 2010, 8:05 PM EDT
Updated at 5:35 p.m.
Despite fielding offers from several clubs right down to this afternoon's trade deadline, Nationals general manager Mike Rizzo elected not to deal slugger Adam Dunn.
Rizzo, who had insisted for weeks he would not lower his lofty asking price for the 30-year-old first baseman, stuck to his guns as a frantic trading period around baseball came to a close.
The Chicago White Sox, New York Yankees, Tampa Bay Rays and Detroit Tigers (among others) all expressed interest in Dunn as the deadline approached, with the White Sox most aggressive in their pursuit.
Rizzo, though, continued to insist on receiving at least two big-league-ready players in return for his cleanup hitter, who leads the Nationals with 24 homers and 64 RBI entering tonight's game against the Phillies.
"We never got a deal we thought was equal or greater value to Adam Dunn," Rizzo said. "We were on the receiving end of the calls. We weren't making the calls. We got a lot of interest in Adam. We just didn't see an equal return to what Adam Dunn brings to the ballclub onRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
x-Clinched division title
THU: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
FRI: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
SAT: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
SUN: Nats at Marlins, 1:10 p.m.
TUE: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
WED: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals' backups fall to Braves in series finale in Atlanta
- Nats will keep playing, try to secure No. 1 seed
- Nationals going with all backups tonight vs. Braves
- Nationals' division titles are no small achievement
- Nationals Stock Watch: NL East champs have plenty of risers
- Matt Williams quotes Robert Frost in postgame speech (VIDEO)
- VIDEO: Nats celebrate NL East title with loud music, lots of beer
- Nationals players react to winning NL East on Twitter
- PHOTOS: Harper wears custom firefighters helmet to celebrate
- Nationals clinch NL East with victory in Atlanta