Jul 31, 2010, 9:45 PM EDT
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Yunesky Maya (left) is introduced next to Mike Rizzo and Livan Hernandez.
Updated at 6:37 p.m.
The Nationals officially signed and introduced Yunesky Maya, the Cuban pitcher who came to terms on a deal with the club last week.
Maya defected from his native Cuba to the Dominican Republic last year and had been working out and pitching in simulated games as various professional clubs scouted him. The 28-year-old right-hander committed to the Nationals last week, though the deal couldn't be completed until he was granted a visa to enter the United States and then passed a physical.
The Nationals rewarded Maya with a major-league contract; he'll immediately appear on the 40-man roster.
"A deep scouting effort has brought us our first major international signing that we think is going to impact our major-league ballclub immediately," general manager Mike Rizzo said.
Maya will report to Viera, Fla., on Monday and throw in front of minor-league pitching coordinator Spin Williams. He'll work his way through a standing throwing program, facing live hitters, pitching in a simulated game and then making at least one start in the minorRead more »
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Phillies could hire MLB's first female general manager
- October madness: All 4 MLB division playoff series in action
- After a disappointing 2015, what's next for the Nats?
- Both AL Division Series get started on Thursday
- ‘Baseball in the District’ – Mark Zuckerman on a big offseason
- What was the turning point for the 2015 Nationals?
- What went wrong for the Nationals in 2015?
- Desmond posts letter to Nationals fans on Twitter
- Miami to adjust dimensions at Marlins Park
- Astros, Yankees kick off playoffs in AL Wild Card game