Jul 31, 2010, 9:45 PM EST
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Yunesky Maya (left) is introduced next to Mike Rizzo and Livan Hernandez.
Updated at 6:37 p.m.
The Nationals officially signed and introduced Yunesky Maya, the Cuban pitcher who came to terms on a deal with the club last week.
Maya defected from his native Cuba to the Dominican Republic last year and had been working out and pitching in simulated games as various professional clubs scouted him. The 28-year-old right-hander committed to the Nationals last week, though the deal couldn't be completed until he was granted a visa to enter the United States and then passed a physical.
The Nationals rewarded Maya with a major-league contract; he'll immediately appear on the 40-man roster.
"A deep scouting effort has brought us our first major international signing that we think is going to impact our major-league ballclub immediately," general manager Mike Rizzo said.
Maya will report to Viera, Fla., on Monday and throw in front of minor-league pitching coordinator Spin Williams. He'll work his way through a standing throwing program, facing live hitters, pitching in a simulated game and then making at least one start in the minorRead more »
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2013 schedule (subject to change)...
TUE: 12:45 p.m., 4:30 p.m.
WED: 2:30 p.m.
THU: 4:30 p.m.
FRI: 12:45 p.m., 2:30 p.m.
SAT: 9:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com.
- Wilson, Blevins among Nationals trade targets
- Rizzo: Nats aren't trading Clippard, Storen, Span
- 6 weeks into MLB offseason and free agents are going fast
- Williams on Harper, Strasburg and more
- Nats GM Mike Rizzo on lefty reliever market (VIDEO)
- Nationals' asking price high on Storen, Clippard
- Phillies willing to trade Cole Hamels and Cliff Lee
- Nats expect McLouth to get significant playing time
- Nats believe Ramos can catch 125 games
- Nationals in no rush to acquire left-hander