Aug 1, 2010, 4:40 AM EDT
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
A mob of teammates awaits Ryan Zimmerman at the plate.
The ball wasn't even halfway to its final resting place, some 440 feet away on the grassy batter's eye in center field, when Ryan Zimmerman turned to Adam Dunn in the on-deck circle, held his arms out and kind of shrugged.
It was as if Zimmerman — whose latest walk-off home run gave the Nationals a stirring, 7-5 victory over the Phillies — was telling his teammate and friend: "Sorry, I just stole your chance to be the hero."
"Letting me know that I'm not hitting again," Dunn said. "Kind of an ongoing deal. It's pretty cool."
"He says he's upset every time that happens in front of him," Zimmerman said. "I don't know how to take that."
However Zimmerman should take it, he could smile wildly tonight knowing he'll have plenty more opportunities to steal Dunn's thunder over the next two months and perhaps longer. Yes, despite a never-ending trail of rumors that left most of the baseball world convinced Dunn would be traded before 4 p.m. today, Mike Rizzo stuck to hisRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
NL WILD CARD STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Month to forget continues for Scherzer, Nats
- Scherzer's struggles continue in Nationals' 4-3 loss to Marlins
- Hip surgery for Span, but Taylor's knee OK
- Game Thread: Nationals open series vs. Marlins
- Desperate Nationals recall OF from AAA Syracuse
- MLB Power Rankings: More movement in AL East
- Ross shines against former team, pulled early for innings limit
- Span likely out for season after latest injury
- Nats banged up in 4-2 victory over Padres, win third straight series
- Updated: Taylor leaves Nats-Padres game after colliding with wall