Aug 1, 2010, 4:00 PM EST
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
John Lannan returns to the Nats, who will attempt to sweep the Phillies.
At the end of an eventful and often improbable week, perhaps the most improbable development of all could come this afternoon: The Nationals could sweep the Phillies.
How improbable would that be? Well, since baseball returned to the District in 2005, the Nats and Phillies have played 17 head-to-head series. The Nats have never swept them. Today, they have a chance to do just that.
For it to happen, John Lannan would need to beat the Phillies for the first time in his career. Recalled from Class AA Harrisburg, where he put up mixed results over the last month, Lannan has never had any success against Philadelphia. His numbers in nine career starts: 0-7, 6.32 ERA.
Cole Hamels takes the mound for the Phillies, who are right back in the same predicament they were in last year: Uncertain about their closer. Brad Lidge coughed it up last night, and now Charlie Manuel has no answer for how he'll handle the ninth inning moving forward.
I'm not covering today's game, will be attending a family event this afternoon. But I'll be flying out to Arizona tomorrow morning and will have all the details from the Nats' four-game series against the Diamondbacks. Until then, please feel free to chat amongst yourselves and enjoy today's game…
PHILLIES at NATIONALS
Where: Nationals Park
Gametime: 1:35 p.m.
TV: Ch. 50, MASN
Radio: WFED-1500 AM, WWFD-820 AM
Weather: Mostly sunny, 79 degrees, Wind 9 mph in from RF
CF Roger Bernadina
SS Ian Desmond
1B Adam Dunn
3B Ryan Zimmerman
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Charlie Manuel almost returned to baseball as O's hitting coach
- How much money can the Nats spend this winter?
- With Hamels trade rumors, Phillies are staying patient
- MLB postseason shares released, including Nats
- Former Nats outfielder Josh Willingham retires
- Trio of pitching greats on new Hall of Fame ballot
- Who is the Nats' best player at his position?
- Nationals 2014 minor league spotlight: Wilmer Difo
- Nationals 2014 minor league spotlight: A.J. Cole
- Report: LaRoche signs 2-year deal with White Sox