Aug 3, 2010, 6:39 PM EDT
PHOENIX — The ball sat in Ivan Rodriguez’s locker at Chase Field, ready to be presented to the man who helped foster one of the greatest catching careers in baseball history.
After clubbing his 300th home run as a catcher, Pudge could think of only one worthy recipient: His father, Jose Rodriguez, who has attended many Nationals games this season and was in the crowd last night when his son reached this latest milestone.
“It took me a long time,” said Rodriguez, who hadn’t homered since May 16. “But it’s always special to have my dad [here].”
Rodriguez became only the fifth catcher in baseball history in the 300-homer club, joining Mike Piazza, Carlton Fisk, Johnny Bench and Yogi Berra. He still wants to become the first catcher in the 3,000-hit club, but he remains 218 shy of that goal and figures to receive less playing time in 2011 as the Nationals try to get a look at newly acquired Wilson Ramos behind the plate.
COUNTDOWN TO OPENING DAY
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nats nearly doubled in franchise value from 2014 to 2015
- Gonzalez settles down, with help from Scherzer
- Former Nats pitcher earns rotation spot with Texas Rangers
- Ian Desmond ranks highly among shortstops, according to ESPN
- Gio Gonzalez faces Mets in Viera
- Harper sidelined as Nats' injuries continue to mount
- Who should Nats' tab as Rendon's fill-in?
- Podcast: 'Baseball in the District' - Mark Zuckerman & Marc Carig
- Scherzer dominates Cardinals' "A" lineup
- Harper on criticism, hopes for 2015: 'I want to do damage'