Aug 3, 2010, 9:45 PM EDT
PHOENIX — Buster Olney of ESPN reported earlier today that the Nationals placed Adam Dunn on waivers, a transaction that immediately left a lot of people out there flustered and wondering if that means the big slugger is about to wind up on another team's roster.
Well, let me give a quick response to that: No, he's almost certainly not going to be playing for anyone other than the Nats the rest of this season.
So what exactly happened and what does it all mean? If the Nats did place Dunn on waivers — and that's not something easily confirmable because waivers are not public knowledge, even to most MLB employees — it's simply a routine procedural move made with dozens of players every August.
You all know about the July 31 trade deadline. Well, there's also an August 31 trade deadline for players who first pass through waivers. If a player is placed on waivers during this month, every other team in baseball has 72 hours to claim him. At the end of the 72-hour period, the team with the worst record in that player's league to have claimed him gets rewarded the claim. If no team from that league (in this case the NL) claims him, then the worst team from the other league gets the claim. If no team from either league claims him, then that player is free to be traded before August 31.
Now, what happens after a team claims a player? This is the key point. The Nationals have three options: 1) allow the other team to take the player and his salary off their hands for no compensation, 2) work out a trade with the other team, or 3) pull the player back offRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
FRI: Nats at Reds, 7:10 p.m.
SAT: Nats at Reds, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Nats at Reds, 1:10 p.m.
MON: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
WED: Nats at Marlins, 12:40 p.m.
THU: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Roark, Nats look to bounce back in Game 100 of 2014 season
- The Baseball Show: Should the Nats make a trade? (VIDEO)
- Power Rankings: Which MLB stadium is the best?
- MLB Power Rankings: Nats trending up after big week
- 'Baseball in the District' - Bob Nightengale and Matt Skole
- Nationals Stock Watch: Strasburg's road struggles continue
- Aaron Barrett wins patriotic staring contest before Nats-Rockies game
- Depleted lineup can't complete sweep over Rockies in 6-4 loss
- Zimmerman placed on DL with hamstring strain
- Kevin Durant channels Werth, LaRoche in 'beard gang' photo