Aug 3, 2010, 9:45 PM EST
PHOENIX — Buster Olney of ESPN reported earlier today that the Nationals placed Adam Dunn on waivers, a transaction that immediately left a lot of people out there flustered and wondering if that means the big slugger is about to wind up on another team's roster.
Well, let me give a quick response to that: No, he's almost certainly not going to be playing for anyone other than the Nats the rest of this season.
So what exactly happened and what does it all mean? If the Nats did place Dunn on waivers — and that's not something easily confirmable because waivers are not public knowledge, even to most MLB employees — it's simply a routine procedural move made with dozens of players every August.
You all know about the July 31 trade deadline. Well, there's also an August 31 trade deadline for players who first pass through waivers. If a player is placed on waivers during this month, every other team in baseball has 72 hours to claim him. At the end of the 72-hour period, the team with the worst record in that player's league to have claimed him gets rewarded the claim. If no team from that league (in this case the NL) claims him, then the worst team from the other league gets the claim. If no team from either league claims him, then that player is free to be traded before August 31.
Now, what happens after a team claims a player? This is the key point. The Nationals have three options: 1) allow the other team to take the player and his salary off their hands for no compensation, 2) work out a trade with the other team, or 3) pull the player back offRead more »
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- USO tour was "life-changing" for Nats' Fister
- Trade official, Turner can't join Nats til June
- Jerry Blevins on Japan, hoping for better results with Nats in 2015
- Moore, Taylor hope to be in mix for Nats' bench spots
- Report: Braves continue makeover, trade star OF Justin Upton
- Drew Storen goes 1-on-1 with Mark Zuckerman at NatsFest
- Winter Classic rink construction well underway at Nats Park
- Nats recall NLDS, watching Giants win World Series
- 'Baseball in the District' - Kurkjian, Zuckerman & Corcoran talk Nats
- How the Nats' trade impacts Desmond's future