Aug 3, 2010, 10:20 PM EDT
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
The Nationals look to make it two in a row tonight at Chase Field.
PHOENIX — Hello again from the Valley of the Sun, which is flexing its considerable summer muscle today. The mercury has climbed back up over the century mark; as I type this, it's 105 degrees outside Chase Field. Thus, the big roof will be closed once again tonight for Game 2 of 4 between the Nationals and Diamondbacks.
Scott Olsen is on the mound, looking to pick up where he left off last week in his return from the DL. That would be another encouraging development for the Nats, who have been getting some quality performances from their starting pitchers over the last week, even as Stephen Strasburg has watched from the dugout.
(Speaking of Strasburg, he's throwing off the bullpen mound here as I type this, the first time he's done that since getting scratched from his start one week ago today. Check the homepage later this evening for a full report on how that went.)
With the Diamondbacks sending newly acquired lefty Joe Saunders to the mound tonight, Jim Riggleman counters with a couple of lineup tweaks that I think should please many of you. Ian Desmond moves up to the 2-hole. Michael Morse starts in right field and bats sixth. And Alberto Gonzalez starts at second base and bats eighth.
Check back throughout the evening for updates…
NATIONALS at DIAMONDBACKS
Where: Chase Field
Gametime: 9:40 p.m.
Radio: WFED-1500 AM, WWFD-820 AM
Weather: Mostly sunny, 101 degrees outdoors (78 degrees indoors)
CF Nyjer Morgan
SS Ian Desmond
3B Ryan Zimmerman
1B Adam Dunn
COUNTDOWN TO OPENING DAY
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nats nearly doubled in franchise value from 2014 to 2015
- Gonzalez settles down, with help from Scherzer
- Former Nats pitcher earns rotation spot with Texas Rangers
- Ian Desmond ranks highly among shortstops, according to ESPN
- Gio Gonzalez faces Mets in Viera
- Harper sidelined as Nats' injuries continue to mount
- Who should Nats' tab as Rendon's fill-in?
- Podcast: 'Baseball in the District' - Mark Zuckerman & Marc Carig
- Scherzer dominates Cardinals' "A" lineup
- Harper on criticism, hopes for 2015: 'I want to do damage'