Aug 4, 2010, 10:12 PM EDT
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
The Nationals reach the two-thirds mark of the season tonight at Chase Field.
Lineup change below
PHOENIX — Game 3 of this four-game series in the desert features a couple of starting pitchers who have virtually no experience against their opposing lineups.
Ian Kennedy — a former Yankees prospect who came to Arizona in last winter's three-team trade with Detroit that involved Curtis Granderson, Edwin Jackson, Austin Jackson, Max Scherzer and others — starts for the Diamondbacks. Nobody on the current Nationals roster has ever faced the right-hander. (We saw last night how all the guys who had never seen Joe Saunders before fared.)
Craig Stammen, though, is equally a mystery to the Diamondbacks. Their only batters who have faced him before are Adam LaRoche (3-for-5 with two homers) and our old friend Ryan Church (1-for-5 with a double). Church, who since last playing for the Nats in 2007 has been traded three times and played for four teams (the Mets, Braves, Pirates and now Diamondbacks), makes his Arizona debut tonight batting eighth and starting in left field.
Nice to see Mark Reynolds back in the Diamondbacks' lineup after getting drilled in the head last night by Collin Balester. Only change for the Nationals is at shortstop, where Alberto Gonzalez gets the nod over Ian Desmond tonight.
This being Game 108, the Nats reach the two-thirds mark of the season. A win tonight would put them on pace to finish 72-90.
Check back throughout the evening for updates…
NATIONALS at DIAMONDBACKS
Where: Chase Field
Gametime: 9:40 p.m.
Radio: WFED-1500 AM, WWFD-820 AM
Weather: Sunny, 105 degrees outdoors (78 degrees indoors)
CF Roger Bernadina
2B Adam Kennedy
3B Ryan Zimmerman
1B Adam Dunn
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com.
- Errors cost Nationals in ugly loss to Cardinals
- The Baseball Show: How can Strasburg turn it around?
- Bryce Harper travels through time in new ad (VIDEO)
- Williams faces first real test as Nationals manager
- Nats' defensive mistakes add up in loss to Cardinals
- Nats lose 8-0 to Cardinals on Wainwright's two-hitter
- Span scores three runs for Hagerstown in minor league rehab game
- Doug Fister pitches in Viera, timetable for return set
- Bryce Harper back in Nats’ lineup to face Cardinals
- Nats return home to face Wainwright, Cardinals