Aug 5, 2010, 6:35 PM EDT
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
The Nationals' lease at Space Coast Stadium runs through 2017.
PHOENIX — When the Lerner family bought the Nationals in 2006, it inherited the franchise's lease with Brevard County (Fla.), which required the club to hold spring training at Space Coast Stadium in Viera through 2017 or else reimburse construction-bond payments to the county that would total in the millions.
It wasn't an ideal situation, housing spring training in a remote complex along Florida's east coast that isn't within an hour drive of any other facility in the Grapefruit League. But the Lerners seemed to accept they were tied to Viera for another decade-plus and even pumped in some of their own money to supplement a county-issued, $2.8 million renovation of Space Coast Stadium in 2007.
Now, though, it appears the Nationals are willing to break the lease and make the penalty payments if they can find another Florida facility to their liking.
According to a report today on the website of local newspaper Florida Today, Nats president Stan Kasten recently spoke to an official from Osceola County about the possibility of a new facility in Kissimmee,Read more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
NL WILD CARD STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Both AL Division Series get started on Thursday
- ‘Baseball in the District’ – Mark Zuckerman on a big offseason
- What was the turning point for the 2015 Nationals?
- What went wrong for the Nationals in 2015?
- Desmond posts letter to Nationals fans on Twitter
- Miami to adjust dimensions at Marlins Park
- Astros, Yankees kick off playoffs in AL Wild Card game
- Time for Nationals to find a long-term manager
- Were the Nationals patient enough with Williams as manager?
- Nats begin search for their next manager