Aug 5, 2010, 11:42 PM EDT
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Jason Marquis returns to the mound Sunday for the first time since April 18.
Updated at 8:08 p.m.
PHOENIX — Jason Marquis will come off the disabled list to start Sunday against the Dodgers, the veteran's first appearance since three early-season disastrous starts that resulted in him undergoing surgery to remove bone chips in his right elbow.
Scott Olsen was scheduled to pitch Sunday in Los Angeles, but Jim Riggleman said the left-hander will remain in the rotation. If Stephen Strasburg returns from the DL himself to start Tuesday against the Marlins, Olsen would have to slot in sometime after that.
Marquis, who signed a two-year, $15 million contract over the winter to serve as a stabilizing veteran in the Nats' rotation, was shut down after only three April starts in which he was torched for 20 runs in 8 1/3 innings. He then admitted he had been experiencing elbow pain, and a subsequent MRI revealed bone chips.
After 3 1/2 months of rehab, including four minor-league starts, Marquis is ready to rejoin the big-league rotation. He last pitched Monday for Class AAA Syracuse, allowing one earned run and three hits over six innings, convincing himself and team officials he wasRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Harper voted All-Star starter in record-breaking fashion
- Many unknowns in Strasburg's latest injury
- Strasburg placed on the 15-day DL with oblique strain
- For Nats, second half begins with high expectations
- Strasburg exits early in Nationals' 9-3 win
- Strasburg leaves game early due to apparent injury
- Harper on using patriotic bat on the Fourth: "Why not?"
- Nats rolling out special Fourth of July uniforms vs. Giants
- Robinson's seventh-inning homer good enough for 2-1 win
- Gonzalez heads to the mound to start series vs. Giants