Aug 5, 2010, 11:42 PM EDT
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Jason Marquis returns to the mound Sunday for the first time since April 18.
Updated at 8:08 p.m.
PHOENIX — Jason Marquis will come off the disabled list to start Sunday against the Dodgers, the veteran's first appearance since three early-season disastrous starts that resulted in him undergoing surgery to remove bone chips in his right elbow.
Scott Olsen was scheduled to pitch Sunday in Los Angeles, but Jim Riggleman said the left-hander will remain in the rotation. If Stephen Strasburg returns from the DL himself to start Tuesday against the Marlins, Olsen would have to slot in sometime after that.
Marquis, who signed a two-year, $15 million contract over the winter to serve as a stabilizing veteran in the Nats' rotation, was shut down after only three April starts in which he was torched for 20 runs in 8 1/3 innings. He then admitted he had been experiencing elbow pain, and a subsequent MRI revealed bone chips.
After 3 1/2 months of rehab, including four minor-league starts, Marquis is ready to rejoin the big-league rotation. He last pitched Monday for Class AAA Syracuse, allowing one earned run and three hits over six innings, convincing himself and team officials he wasRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
MON: Nats at Rockies, 8:40 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Rockies, 8:40 p.m.
WED: Nats at Rockies, 3:10 p.m.
FRI: Nats at Reds, 7:10 p.m.
SAT: Nats at Reds, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Nats at Reds, 1:10 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Ian Desmond notches five hits, Nats rock Colorado
- Harper sits, Zimmerman in left as Nats face Rockies
- NL East: Lee and Cishek drawing interest on trade market
- Dan Uggla signs with the San Francisco Giants
- Nats fan sports 'Curly W' beard (PHOTO)
- State of the Nats: 9-game road trip begins Monday
- Resurgent Zimmerman leads Nats' potent lineup
- Werth, Rendon, scouting come together in Nats win
- Instant analysis: Nats 5, Brewers 4
- Nationals try to overcome pinch-hitting woes