Aug 5, 2010, 8:24 PM EST
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Stephen Strasburg faces Justin Maxwell in a simulated game this afternoon.
PHOENIX — Stephen Strasburg is about to start pitching a simulated game at Chase Field. Nice of the Diamondbacks to leave the roof open. The current temperature: 106 degrees.
Three batters will dig in against the rookie right-hander: Justin Maxwell, Adam Kennedy and Willie Harris. (Guess Willie was forced into doing it, because last night when I asked if he was going to face Strasburg, he responded: "I'm not showing up for that. I'm trying to get out of a slump, not in one!")
I'll have some updates and photos in a little bit…
4:50 p.m. — The first "inning" is complete, and Strasburg looked perfectly fine out there. Turns out only Maxwell and Harris are facing him, not Kennedy. Strasburg faced each batter twice. He "struck out" Maxwell, who swung and missed twice in his first at-bat. He then "walked" Harris and plunked Maxwell with an inside breaking ball. Harris finished out the frame by lofting a check-swing base hit to shallow right-center. He immediately shouted out, "Yeah!" and raised his left arm in triumph. He and Maxwell then did a little dance. Strasburg went back to the dugout and is taking a short between-innings break at the moment.
5:07 p.m. — Inning number two is complete, and it appears that will be it. Strasburg faced five more "batters." He struck out Harris looking at a curveball, then struck out Maxwell swinging. Justin didRead more »
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals 2014 minor league spotlight: A.J. Cole
- Report: LaRoche signs 2-year deal with White Sox
- Souza explains gift from Zimmermann: 'It was his moment'
- Nats sign RHP Billings for minor league depth
- Braves seen as 'dark horse' for next Cuban star Tomas
- When should Nats' wave of prospects arrive?
- Nationals linked to top free agent Max Scherzer
- Nats add 4 players to 40-man roster, drop pair
- Report: Nationals consider Zimmermann & Fister 'available'
- Nationals need to make 40-man roster decisions