Aug 6, 2010, 3:47 AM EDT
Updated at 1:47 a.m.
PHOENIX — The Nationals have placed Nyjer Morgan on the 15-day disabled list with right hip inflammation despite the outfielder's insistence he can continue to play and intend to purchase the contract of veteran outfielder Kevin Mench to take his roster spot.
Morgan, who was out of the Nats' lineup for the second straight game, underwent an MRI yesterday after complaining of a "sharp pain" in the hip while doing routine physical activities like jogging. The MRI revealed only inflammation, according to the club's training staff, but the team elected to place him on the DL (retroactive to yesterday) anyways.
"It [freaking] sucks," Morgan said. "I feel fine. But, whatever."
With Morgan sidelined at least two weeks, manager Jim Riggleman said he's likely to use Roger Bernadina in center field and Michael Morse in right field the majority of the time.
The Nationals didn't announce any corresponding move after the game, but they did announce right-hander J.D. Martin (lower back) has been transferred from the 15-day DL to the 60-day DL, essentially ending his season. The significance of that transaction is that it paves the way for the Nats to promote someone who is not currentlyRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
THU: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
FRI: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SAT: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SUN: Phillies at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
MON: Orioles at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
TUE: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
WED: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals get a big rally, then hang on for dear life
- Nats end road trip with much-needed 4-3 win over Marlins
- Bryce Harper rediscovers his hitting stroke
- Nationals need win today to avoid losing road trip
- Depleted Nationals lineup shut out by Marlins
- Nationals can't fight back against Marlins, lose 3-0
- Werth out but says ankle sprain isn't serious
- Strasburg takes mound for big start vs. Marlins
- Zimmermann returns to form in dominant start
- Around the NL East: Which team will make a big splash via trade?