Aug 6, 2010, 6:32 AM EDT
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Ross Detwiler allowed seven runs (four earned) in four innings.
PHOENIX — Among the young players the Nationals need to evaluate over the season's second half, Ross Detwiler ranks near the top of the list.
This isn't some stop-gap, rotation fill-in the Nats are sending to the mound every five days. This is a first-round draft pick who has always projected as a hard-throwing left-hander who has the ability to get opposing hitters out on his own. Unlike plenty of others in the Nationals' system who have to "pitch to contact," Detwiler has the stuff to make hitters swing and miss.
But three starts into his big-league return, Detwiler remains a mystery wrapped in an enigma. He's pitched well at times, has pitched poorly at times and more than anything has received zero help from the guys behind him.
Of the 13 runs Detwiler has allowed in 13 innings so far, only five have been earned.
"Really, we played so bad — and we've done that a couple of times when he's pitched — it's really hard to get a read on how he's pitching," Jim Riggleman said following tonight's 8-4 loss to the Diamondbacks.
Two costly errors in Milwaukee two weeks ago spoiled Detwiler's season debut. His teammates played clean baseball behind him last weekend against the Phillies, and he responded with 5 1/3 innings of one-run ball. But the circus returned tonight to Chase Field, with Adam Dunn booting a second-inning grounder that led to an unearnedRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
SAT: Nats at Mariners, 9:10 p.m.
SUN: Nats at Mariners, 4:10 p.m.
MON: Nats at Dodgers, 8:10 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Dodgers, 10:10 p.m.
WED: Nats at Dodgers, 4:10 p.m.
FRI: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Mets could lose Murphy for rest of season
- Nats blast King Felix, open series vs. Mariners with win
- Zimmermann, Nats get huge test with King Felix out in Seattle
- Nats extend contract with Single-A Hagerstown
- The Baseball Show: Williams for Manager of the Year?
- MLB Power Rankings: L.A. Angels flying high
- Mariners will have familiar face as manager vs. Nats this weekend
- Nats extend deal with Auburn Doubledays of NYP League
- Baseball in the District - MLB radio's Casey Stern & Todd Dybas
- Reason to worry about Nats after 3-game sweep?