Aug 8, 2010, 4:00 PM EST
Photo courtesy Los Angeles Dodgers
The Nats wrap up a three-game series today at Dodger Stadium.
When last we saw Jason Marquis, he was suffering through the worst start of his (or most any pitcher's) career. On April 18, the veteran right-hander faced seven Brewers. He didn't retire any of them. This, after struggling big-time in his previous two starts, leaving him with the lopsided ERA of 20.52.
Nearly four months later, Marquis finally returns to a big-league mound today. His elbow is healthy, having had bone chips removed. He pitched well in his last rehab start with Class AAA Syracuse. And now he's determined to pitch the way he expected to all along after signing a two-year, $15 million contract last winter.
Because of that contract, the Nationals pretty much have no choice but to make Marquis a part of their rotation the rest of this season and into 2011. It would be nice, though, if he could at least pitch with some effectiveness and earn some of that money over the next seven weeks.
Ted Lilly, another veteran with a solid track record who missed a good chunk of time earlier this season due to injury, starts today's series finale for the Dodgers. The Nats, who lost a heartbreaker in 10 innings last night, need a win today to finish this road trip with a 4-3 record.
As you know by now, I wasn't in Los Angeles this weekend for the series. I'm flying home today from Phoenix to Washington, but I'm due to arrive before this game starts, so I should be able to post lineups before things get underway…
NATIONALS at DODGERS
Where: Dodger Stadium
Gametime: 4:10 p.m.
TV: Ch. 50, MASN2
Radio: WFED-1500 AM, WWFD-820 AM
Weather: Sunny, 68 degrees, Wind 8 mph out to CF
2B Alberto Gonzalez
SS Ian Desmond
3B Ryan Zimmerman
1B Adam Dunn
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals sign veteran infielder to minor league deal
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: Stephen Strasburg's contract year
- 2016 MLB roster outlook: Detroit Tigers
- 2016 MLB roster outlook: Colorado Rockies
- 2016 MLB roster outlook: Cleveland Indians
- Report: All-Star catcher Lucroy has Nats on no-trade list
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: Max Scherzer more important in Year 2
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: An important year for Wilson Ramos
- NL East: Phillies add new alternate uniform for 2016 (PHOTOS)
- NL East: Marlins interested in adding another starting pitcher