Aug 10, 2010, 1:47 PM EDT
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Stephen Strasburg returns to the mound tonight against the Marlins.
Around 6:40 p.m. tonight, Stephen Strasburg will emerge from the first-base dugout at Nationals Park and make his way, along with pitching coach Steve McCatty, to the right-field corner. There he'll stretch and begin playing catch before moving to the bullpen to fully warm-up off the mound. It's the first game of a homestand for the Nationals, with Strasburg preparing to rematch an NL East opponent for the first time in his rookie season.
Wait, haven't we seen this before?
Yes, exactly two weeks removed from his aborted warm-up session, Strasburg will be right back in the same spot tonight. On July 27, with the Braves waiting in the other dugout, few among the sellout crowd noticed when the rookie right-hander snuck out of the bullpen and was replaced by Miss Iowa…er, Miguel Batista about 15 minutes before first pitch. Tonight, all eyes will be on Strasburg throughout his pregame routine, no one resting easy until he actually takes the mound and throws his first pitch to Marlins leadoff hitter Hanley Ramirez.
(Oh, if you hadn't heard, tickets are still available. The Nationals wanted to make sure you were aware of that.)
It's probably going to be like this the remainder of Strasburg's rookie season. Two weeks ago, we took for granted that he'd actually pitch when listed as the Nats' starting pitcher. But then the dreaded wordsRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
NL WILD CARD STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Both AL Division Series get started on Thursday
- ‘Baseball in the District’ – Mark Zuckerman on a big offseason
- What was the turning point for the 2015 Nationals?
- What went wrong for the Nationals in 2015?
- Desmond posts letter to Nationals fans on Twitter
- Miami to adjust dimensions at Marlins Park
- Astros, Yankees kick off playoffs in AL Wild Card game
- Time for Nationals to find a long-term manager
- Were the Nationals patient enough with Williams as manager?
- Nats begin search for their next manager