Aug 10, 2010, 1:47 PM EDT
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Stephen Strasburg returns to the mound tonight against the Marlins.
Around 6:40 p.m. tonight, Stephen Strasburg will emerge from the first-base dugout at Nationals Park and make his way, along with pitching coach Steve McCatty, to the right-field corner. There he'll stretch and begin playing catch before moving to the bullpen to fully warm-up off the mound. It's the first game of a homestand for the Nationals, with Strasburg preparing to rematch an NL East opponent for the first time in his rookie season.
Wait, haven't we seen this before?
Yes, exactly two weeks removed from his aborted warm-up session, Strasburg will be right back in the same spot tonight. On July 27, with the Braves waiting in the other dugout, few among the sellout crowd noticed when the rookie right-hander snuck out of the bullpen and was replaced by Miss Iowa…er, Miguel Batista about 15 minutes before first pitch. Tonight, all eyes will be on Strasburg throughout his pregame routine, no one resting easy until he actually takes the mound and throws his first pitch to Marlins leadoff hitter Hanley Ramirez.
(Oh, if you hadn't heard, tickets are still available. The Nationals wanted to make sure you were aware of that.)
It's probably going to be like this the remainder of Strasburg's rookie season. Two weeks ago, we took for granted that he'd actually pitch when listed as the Nats' starting pitcher. But then the dreaded wordsRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Strasburg exits early in Nationals' 9-3 win
- Strasburg leaves game early due to apparent injury
- Harper on using patriotic bat on the Fourth: "Why not?"
- Nats rolling out special Fourth of July uniforms vs. Giants
- Robinson's seventh-inning homer good enough for 2-1 win
- Gonzalez heads to the mound to start series vs. Giants
- Williams got Division Series out of mind quickly
- MLB Power Rankings: Nats, Astros making a push
- Wacky way for Scherzer to take another loss
- Scherzer goes distance, but controversial call hands Nats loss