Aug 10, 2010, 5:58 PM EDT
The Nationals have assigned Orlando “El Duque” Hernandez to Class AA Harrisburg after a successful stint in the Gulf Coast League by the 44-year-old right-hander.
Hernandez, who was signed to a minor-league contract last month, appeared in five games in Viera, allowing one earned run and five hits in six innings of relief work. He struck out nine and did not walk a batter.
The half-brother of Nationals starter Livan Hernandez, “El Duque” has not pitched in the majors since 2007 with the Mets. His signing with the Nats helped facilitate the club’s subsequent signing of Cuban right-hander Yunesky Maya, who is currently pitching in the Gulf Coast League.
Don’t be surprised if Maya winds up pitching alongside Hernandez in Harrisburg soon. Hernandez also could make his way to Washington as a September call-up if he performs at Class AA.
NL EAST STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Fister's rough inning leads to Nats' 4-1 loss to Braves
- New President makes Nationals race debut
- Las Vegas really likes the Nationals in October
- Nats Stock Watch: Rotation continuing to dominate
- Nats cruise to 9th straight win over Braves
- Zimmermann sharp as Nationals beat Braves again, 6-1
- Rested Nats open series in Atlanta
- Is it time to start worrying about Anthony Rendon's injuries?
- State of the Nats: All-Stars announced soon, Giants coming to town
- Baseball in the District - Which Nats should be All-Stars?