Aug 10, 2010, 5:58 PM EST
The Nationals have assigned Orlando “El Duque” Hernandez to Class AA Harrisburg after a successful stint in the Gulf Coast League by the 44-year-old right-hander.
Hernandez, who was signed to a minor-league contract last month, appeared in five games in Viera, allowing one earned run and five hits in six innings of relief work. He struck out nine and did not walk a batter.
The half-brother of Nationals starter Livan Hernandez, “El Duque” has not pitched in the majors since 2007 with the Mets. His signing with the Nats helped facilitate the club’s subsequent signing of Cuban right-hander Yunesky Maya, who is currently pitching in the Gulf Coast League.
Don’t be surprised if Maya winds up pitching alongside Hernandez in Harrisburg soon. Hernandez also could make his way to Washington as a September call-up if he performs at Class AA.
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- How the Nats' trade impacts Desmond's future
- Nats trade Souza in 3-team deal, get Turner from Padres
- Report: Mets may not pitch Harvey vs. Nats on Opening Day
- Souza's name crops up in complex trade talks
- Clippard: 'I hope we all stay together for at least one more shot'
- Nats GM Mike Rizzo explains trading Detwiler; talks prospects
- Nats announce date pitchers and catchers will report to Viera
- Nationals react to Detwiler and LaRoche leaving this offseason
- Ian Desmond goes 1-on-1 with Mark Zuckerman at Nats Fest
- Zuckerman on the Nats and Bryce Harper's contract settlement