Aug 10, 2010, 5:58 PM EST
The Nationals have assigned Orlando “El Duque” Hernandez to Class AA Harrisburg after a successful stint in the Gulf Coast League by the 44-year-old right-hander.
Hernandez, who was signed to a minor-league contract last month, appeared in five games in Viera, allowing one earned run and five hits in six innings of relief work. He struck out nine and did not walk a batter.
The half-brother of Nationals starter Livan Hernandez, “El Duque” has not pitched in the majors since 2007 with the Mets. His signing with the Nats helped facilitate the club’s subsequent signing of Cuban right-hander Yunesky Maya, who is currently pitching in the Gulf Coast League.
Don’t be surprised if Maya winds up pitching alongside Hernandez in Harrisburg soon. Hernandez also could make his way to Washington as a September call-up if he performs at Class AA.
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals sign veteran infielder to minor league deal
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: Stephen Strasburg's contract year
- 2016 MLB roster outlook: Detroit Tigers
- 2016 MLB roster outlook: Colorado Rockies
- 2016 MLB roster outlook: Cleveland Indians
- Report: All-Star catcher Lucroy has Nats on no-trade list
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: Max Scherzer more important in Year 2
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: An important year for Wilson Ramos
- NL East: Phillies add new alternate uniform for 2016 (PHOTOS)
- NL East: Marlins interested in adding another starting pitcher