Aug 10, 2010, 5:58 PM EDT
The Nationals have assigned Orlando “El Duque” Hernandez to Class AA Harrisburg after a successful stint in the Gulf Coast League by the 44-year-old right-hander.
Hernandez, who was signed to a minor-league contract last month, appeared in five games in Viera, allowing one earned run and five hits in six innings of relief work. He struck out nine and did not walk a batter.
The half-brother of Nationals starter Livan Hernandez, “El Duque” has not pitched in the majors since 2007 with the Mets. His signing with the Nats helped facilitate the club’s subsequent signing of Cuban right-hander Yunesky Maya, who is currently pitching in the Gulf Coast League.
Don’t be surprised if Maya winds up pitching alongside Hernandez in Harrisburg soon. Hernandez also could make his way to Washington as a September call-up if he performs at Class AA.
NL EAST STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Cubs' farm team trolls Nats, Wizards after walk-off win
- Nationals lose tough one on walk-off vs. Cubs
- Bryce Harper still doesn't think he's MLB's best
- Nats go for 2 in a row at Wrigley
- Marlins players fail to show up at charity event
- Cubs manager Joe Maddon doesn't get criticism of Bryce Harper
- The Baseball Show: Time to sign Harper to an extension?
- Mets Matt Harvey may be dealing with 'dead arm'
- As Nationals soar, so does dominant Storen
- Roark, Ramos lead Nationals past Cubs 2-1