Aug 11, 2010, 4:19 AM EST
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Stephen Strasburg couldn’t make it out of the fifth inning tonight.
The number of legitimately poor starts in Stephen Strasburg’s pitching career, even dating back to his junior year at San Diego State, is minuscule. Without question, it can be counted on one hand, maybe even with the thumb and pinkie excluded.
So tonight’s clunker by the Nationals rookie — he was roughed up by the Marlins for six runs in 4 1/3 innings — was a shock to everyone in attendance at Nationals Park and throughout the baseball world.
Once it was obvious, though, that Strasburg’s right shoulder had nothing to do with this performance, attention could be shifted away from the pitcher’s physical state and toward his mental approach to what just happened. And if his few past struggles are an indication of how he handles these things, the Nationals should rest easy and expect a big-time, bounce-back outing when Strasburg re-takes the mound Sunday afternoon against the Diamondbacks.
“He’s a competitor,” pitching coach Steve McCatty said. “He expects a lot out of himself. I know he’s going to be angry at himself. But this is a learning lesson for him. You’ve got to learn from your failures. That’s how you get better.”
As you’ll read on CSNwashington.com, Strasburg has a strong (if brief) history of dealing quite well with adversity.
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- USO tour was "life-changing" for Nats' Fister
- Trade official, Turner can't join Nats til June
- Jerry Blevins on Japan, hoping for better results with Nats in 2015
- Moore, Taylor hope to be in mix for Nats' bench spots
- Report: Braves continue makeover, trade star OF Justin Upton
- Drew Storen goes 1-on-1 with Mark Zuckerman at NatsFest
- Winter Classic rink construction well underway at Nats Park
- Nats recall NLDS, watching Giants win World Series
- 'Baseball in the District' - Kurkjian, Zuckerman & Corcoran talk Nats
- How the Nats' trade impacts Desmond's future