Aug 11, 2010, 4:19 AM EST
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Stephen Strasburg couldn’t make it out of the fifth inning tonight.
The number of legitimately poor starts in Stephen Strasburg’s pitching career, even dating back to his junior year at San Diego State, is minuscule. Without question, it can be counted on one hand, maybe even with the thumb and pinkie excluded.
So tonight’s clunker by the Nationals rookie — he was roughed up by the Marlins for six runs in 4 1/3 innings — was a shock to everyone in attendance at Nationals Park and throughout the baseball world.
Once it was obvious, though, that Strasburg’s right shoulder had nothing to do with this performance, attention could be shifted away from the pitcher’s physical state and toward his mental approach to what just happened. And if his few past struggles are an indication of how he handles these things, the Nationals should rest easy and expect a big-time, bounce-back outing when Strasburg re-takes the mound Sunday afternoon against the Diamondbacks.
“He’s a competitor,” pitching coach Steve McCatty said. “He expects a lot out of himself. I know he’s going to be angry at himself. But this is a learning lesson for him. You’ve got to learn from your failures. That’s how you get better.”
As you’ll read on CSNwashington.com, Strasburg has a strong (if brief) history of dealing quite well with adversity.
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- 2016 MLB roster outlook: Kansas City Royals
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: Will Michael Taylor become an everyday outfielder?
- Dusty Baker on Nationals: "Why not now, and why not me?"
- 2016 MLB roster outlook: Houston Astros
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: Can Tanner Roark bounce back as a starter?
- Craig Stammen signs minor league deal with Cleveland
- Report: Tyler Clippard signs deal with NL West club
- 2016 MLB roster outlook: Los Angeles Dodgers
- Bryce Harper shows off Redskins hat en route to Super Bowl
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: Can Joe Ross take the next step?