Aug 11, 2010, 4:19 AM EDT
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Stephen Strasburg couldn’t make it out of the fifth inning tonight.
The number of legitimately poor starts in Stephen Strasburg’s pitching career, even dating back to his junior year at San Diego State, is minuscule. Without question, it can be counted on one hand, maybe even with the thumb and pinkie excluded.
So tonight’s clunker by the Nationals rookie — he was roughed up by the Marlins for six runs in 4 1/3 innings — was a shock to everyone in attendance at Nationals Park and throughout the baseball world.
Once it was obvious, though, that Strasburg’s right shoulder had nothing to do with this performance, attention could be shifted away from the pitcher’s physical state and toward his mental approach to what just happened. And if his few past struggles are an indication of how he handles these things, the Nationals should rest easy and expect a big-time, bounce-back outing when Strasburg re-takes the mound Sunday afternoon against the Diamondbacks.
“He’s a competitor,” pitching coach Steve McCatty said. “He expects a lot out of himself. I know he’s going to be angry at himself. But this is a learning lesson for him. You’ve got to learn from your failures. That’s how you get better.”
As you’ll read on CSNwashington.com, Strasburg has a strong (if brief) history of dealing quite well with adversity.
NL EAST STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals again can't beat struggling Reds
- Span, Escobar exit game vs. Reds with apparent injuries
- Max Scherzer gets All-Star nod, two Nats left out
- Live Thread: Nationals open series vs. Reds
- More revealing Bryce Harper Body Issue photos released
- Bryce Harper makes decision on Home Run Derby
- Nationals sweep Giants behind Zimmermann, Ramos
- Two Giants ejected after arguing call vs. Nationals
- Live Thread: Nationals face Giants in Sunday night matchup
- Harper voted All-Star starter in record-breaking fashion