Aug 11, 2010, 4:19 AM EDT
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Stephen Strasburg couldn’t make it out of the fifth inning tonight.
The number of legitimately poor starts in Stephen Strasburg’s pitching career, even dating back to his junior year at San Diego State, is minuscule. Without question, it can be counted on one hand, maybe even with the thumb and pinkie excluded.
So tonight’s clunker by the Nationals rookie — he was roughed up by the Marlins for six runs in 4 1/3 innings — was a shock to everyone in attendance at Nationals Park and throughout the baseball world.
Once it was obvious, though, that Strasburg’s right shoulder had nothing to do with this performance, attention could be shifted away from the pitcher’s physical state and toward his mental approach to what just happened. And if his few past struggles are an indication of how he handles these things, the Nationals should rest easy and expect a big-time, bounce-back outing when Strasburg re-takes the mound Sunday afternoon against the Diamondbacks.
“He’s a competitor,” pitching coach Steve McCatty said. “He expects a lot out of himself. I know he’s going to be angry at himself. But this is a learning lesson for him. You’ve got to learn from your failures. That’s how you get better.”
As you’ll read on CSNwashington.com, Strasburg has a strong (if brief) history of dealing quite well with adversity.
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com.
- Instant analysis: Padres 4, Nats 3 (12)
- Injury updates on Gio Gonzalez, Doug Fister & Scott Hairston
- Nationals host Padres in first of four-game series
- MLB Power Rankings: Rangers moving up the ladder
- Deconstructing the Nationals' game-winning rally
- Gio Gonzalez pulled from Nats' win with left shoulder tightness
- LaRoche's walk-off hit saves Nationals from sweep vs. Angels
- Former Senators pitcher Connie Marrero passes away
- Injury updates on Zimmerman and Hairston
- Baseball in the District: Thom Loverro of ESPN 980 talks Nats