Aug 11, 2010, 3:16 PM EDT
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Danny Espinosa's fine minor-league season could result in a September promotion.
It's just about that time of the year when thoughts turn to September and who among the Nationals' top minor leaguers might be in line for a cup of coffee in the big leagues.
September call-ups tend to draw a lot of attention, and often for good reason. Among the most notable guys who made their major-league debuts for the Nats in September are the franchise's current left side of the infield: Ryan Zimmerman (2005) and Ian Desmond (2009).
Then again, plenty of September promotions go to players who quickly disappear into the abyss of anonymous ex-Nationals and are never heard from again. (Hello, Mike Hinckley and Arnie Munoz!)
So you can't get too worked up about these call-ups. September performances offer only a glimpse into a player's full potential. Still, there are a couple of guys in the upper levels of the Nats' farm system right now, knocking on the door and itching for a late-season promotion. Here's a rundown of some of those who could wind up in the Nationals Park clubhouse come the first week of September…
Probably the safest bet of the group to be on the roster later this season, the young catcher (he turned 23 yesterday) acquired from the Twins in the Matt Capps trade figures to hold a prominent role on this team in 2011. Mike Rizzo has all but said he'll be in D.C. for this season's final month, and he'll probably get a fair share of playingRead more »
COUNTDOWN TO OPENING DAY
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Zimmermann gets roughed up for 8 runs by Marlins
- Nats cut two more, reducing healthy roster to 27
- Is this a preview of Nats' Opening Day lineup?
- Rendon will begin season on DL with sprained MCL
- Frandsen released, Gwynn Jr. sent to minors
- Johnson, den Dekker adjust quickly to Nats
- Blevins' awkward 24 hours ends with K of Harper
- Werth crosses big hurdle in shoulder rehab
- Nats face Mets in final Viera game of the spring
- PHOTO: New Mets pitcher faces Nats one day after they traded him