Aug 12, 2010, 7:31 PM EDT
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
The Nationals try to salvage one game against the Marlins tonight.
Everybody in baseball has got a nemesis, that one opposing player or team that just terrorizes you every time you meet. For the Nationals, that team is the Marlins and that player is Hanley Ramirez.
Over the last three seasons, the Nats have played the Marlins 46 times. Their record against them is a pathetic 13-33. Think about that. It's a .283 winning percentage. If a team played at that rate over a full season, it would result in a 46-116 record. That's beyond awful.
On an individual level, Ramirez owns the Nationals as much as his team does. The All-Star shortstop played in his 81st game against Washington last night. His offensive totals: 24 homers, 63 RBI, a .361 average, a .449 on-base percentage, a .703 slugging percentage and a 1.152 OPS. Not a bad stat line if you were to extrapolate that out over a full season.
So Livan Hernandez, a former Marlins postseason hero himself, has quite the challenge in front of him tonight trying to avoid a three-game sweep. For those who don't know, they're giving away DVDs of Stephen Strasburg's big-league debut (featuring the full MASN broadcast, plus a bunch of extras) to the first 15,000 fans in attendance. As far as ballpark giveaways go, that's not too shabby.
Check back for updates before, during and after the game…
MARLINS at NATIONALS
Where: Nationals Park
Gametime: 7:05 p.m.
Radio: WFED-1500 AM, WWFD-820 AM
Weather: Chance of storms, 82 degrees, Wind 8 mph in from RF
CF Roger Bernadina
SS Ian Desmond
1B Adam Dunn
3B Ryan Zimmerman
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com.
- Nationals host Padres in first of four-game series
- MLB Power Rankings: Rangers moving up the ladder
- Deconstructing the Nationals' game-winning rally
- Gio Gonzalez pulled from Nats' win with left shoulder tightness
- LaRoche's walk-off hit saves Nationals from sweep vs. Angels
- Former Senators pitcher Connie Marrero passes away
- Injury updates on Zimmerman and Hairston
- Baseball in the District: Thom Loverro of ESPN 980 talks Nats
- Gio, Nationals try to avoid getting swept by Angels
- Nationals Stock Watch: Harper has rough week