Aug 12, 2010, 4:12 AM EDT
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Scott Olsen was yanked after recording only five outs.
The velocity was there. In fact, Scott Olsen probably threw the ball harder tonight than he had in any of his previous 21 starts with the Nationals. His fastball, which hasn't even averaged 90 mph this season, was consistently at 92 mph tonight and topped out at 94 mph.
Velocity, of course, does not equate to victories, as Olsen found out during this 9-5 mauling at the hands of the Marlins. No matter how hard Olsen fired it toward the plate, it came back with even more velocity.
Base hit to left. Double down the left-field line. Homer into the Red Porch. It never ended.
Olsen faced 15 batters before getting the unceremonious yanking from Jim Riggleman. Ten of those batters reached safely, eight via base hit.
"Certainly, he can pitch at 92," Riggleman said. "But the other stuff has got to go with it. And tonight, he just didn't have the other stuff."
No, he didn't. Olsen's answers to reporters' questions about hisRead more »
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
NL POSTSEASON SCHEDULE
WED: Giants at Pirates, 8:07 p.m. (ESPN)
FRI: Game 1, Pirates at Nats, 12:07 p.m.,
OR Giants at Nats, 3:07 p.m. (FS1)
SAT: Game 2, PIT/SF at Nats, 5:37 p.m. (FS1)
MON: Game 3, Nats at PIT/SF, TBA (MLBN)
TUE: Game 4, Nats at PIT/SF, TBA (FS1)*
OCT. 9: Game 5, PIT/SF at Nats, TBA (FS1)*
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Braves' hitting coach resigns after trying season
- Game thread: Giants-Pirates battle to face Nats in NLDS
- Former Nats slugger Adam Dunn still plans to retire
- Giants or Pirates: who should Nats prefer to play in NLDS?
- How the '14 Nats are better than the '12 Nats
- Royals beat A's 9-8 in 12 in AL wild-card thriller
- 'Now the fun begins' - Nats enter postseason on a roll
- Game thread: Who will advance in AL Wild Card game?
- Bryce Harper to play showcase in Japan after MLB playoffs
- MLB postseason begins tonight: Wild Card playoff preview