Aug 12, 2010, 9:13 PM EDT
Updated at 1:09 a.m.
Read the full, updated story with quotes on CSNwashington.com.
Josh Willingham has damaged cartilage in his left knee and possibly a meniscus tear, an injury that has been hampering the Nationals left fielder since early in the season but one he hopes to play through before potentially having surgery this winter.
Willingham was out of the Nats’ lineup tonight for the second straight day, but manager Jim Riggleman said the 31-year-old will start tomorrow night against the Diamondbacks. Willingham pushed to play tonight, but Riggleman said he preferred to err on the side of caution.
Riggleman did say Willingham was available to pinch-hit tonight — just as he did last night (he doubled in the bottom of the sixth, but Jason Marquis subsequently pinch-ran for him) — though the manager wanted to avoid using him and did leave him on the bench during a 5-0 loss to the Marlins.
After enjoying a strong first half in which he hit .281 with 15 homers, 46 RBI and a .411 on-base percentage, Willingham has tailed off considerably. Over his last 24 games, he’s batting .203 with no homers, eight RBI and a .289 on-base percentage.
Willingham believes he aggravated the injury during the Nationals’ last homestand when he slid awkwardly into second base. He said tests show some damage to cartilage in the knee which could be a meniscus tear, but he intends to continue playing and hopes to avoid surgery.
NL EAST STANDINGS
x-Clinched division title
WED: Nats at Braves, 7:10 p.m.
THU: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
FRI: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
SAT: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
SUN: Nats at Marlins, 1:10 p.m.
TUE: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals going with all backups tonight vs. Braves
- Nationals' division titles are no small achievement
- Nationals Stock Watch: NL East champs have plenty of risers
- Matt Williams quotes Robert Frost in postgame speech (VIDEO)
- VIDEO: Nats celebrate NL East title with loud music, lots of beer
- Nationals players react to winning NL East on Twitter
- PHOTOS: Harper wears custom firefighters helmet to celebrate
- Nationals clinch NL East with victory in Atlanta
- How did Zimmerman fare in first game action in Viera?
- Nationals play for NL East title tonight in Atlanta