Aug 13, 2010, 11:07 PM EST
The Nationals drafted Bryce Harper more than two months ago. They want to sign the 17-year-old catcher-turned-outfielder. He wants to sign. But there have been virtually no contract negotiations between the two sides, and no one expects serious talks to begin until the final minutes before Monday night’s deadline for all MLB draft picks to sign.
Around the Nats’ front office these days, there’s no panic or stomach-churning over the fact Harper remains unsigned with 72 hours to go. Instead, there’s a realization — as has come to be the case around the sport — that baseball’s current draft-and-sign process is seriously flawed.
“The charade, the kabuki-dance nature of all of this, is just kind of silly,” Stan Kasten said this afternoon. “We can do better than this as an industry. And I think both sides recognize that.”
For the full story on the Harper negotiation and some more colorful quotes from Kasten, check out CSNwashington.com.
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Trade official, Turner can't join Nats til June
- Jerry Blevins on Japan, hoping for better results with Nats in 2015
- Moore, Taylor hope to be in mix for Nats' bench spots
- Report: Braves continue makeover, trade star OF Justin Upton
- Drew Storen goes 1-on-1 with Mark Zuckerman at NatsFest
- Winter Classic rink construction well underway at Nats Park
- Nats recall NLDS, watching Giants win World Series
- 'Baseball in the District' - Kurkjian, Zuckerman & Corcoran talk Nats
- How the Nats' trade impacts Desmond's future
- Nats trade Souza in 3-team deal, get Turner from Padres