Aug 13, 2010, 11:07 PM EDT
The Nationals drafted Bryce Harper more than two months ago. They want to sign the 17-year-old catcher-turned-outfielder. He wants to sign. But there have been virtually no contract negotiations between the two sides, and no one expects serious talks to begin until the final minutes before Monday night’s deadline for all MLB draft picks to sign.
Around the Nats’ front office these days, there’s no panic or stomach-churning over the fact Harper remains unsigned with 72 hours to go. Instead, there’s a realization — as has come to be the case around the sport — that baseball’s current draft-and-sign process is seriously flawed.
“The charade, the kabuki-dance nature of all of this, is just kind of silly,” Stan Kasten said this afternoon. “We can do better than this as an industry. And I think both sides recognize that.”
For the full story on the Harper negotiation and some more colorful quotes from Kasten, check out CSNwashington.com.
NL EAST STANDINGS
FRI: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SAT: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SUN: Phillies at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
MON: Orioles at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
TUE: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
WED: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
THU: Mets at Nats, 12:35 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals bullpen in surprising rut
- Gio Gonzalez stumbles again in Nats' 10-4 loss to Phillies
- Pitchers' duel becomes battle of bullpens in Nationals 10-4 loss
- Mike Rizzo: Cabrera deal was made out of necessity (VIDEO)
- Nats make deadline move for Asdrubal Cabrera
- Gio, Nats host Phillies for first of four-game set at Nationals Park
- On deadline day, Nationals have decisions to make
- Nationals Stock Watch: Roark leading Nats' rotation
- Nationals get a big rally, then hang on for dear life
- Nats end road trip with much-needed 4-3 win over Marlins