Aug 13, 2010, 7:32 PM EST
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Stuck in a five-game losing streak, the Nats look to rebound against Arizona.
There was a time when the sight of John Lannan on the mound would have been encouraging for a Nationals team mired in a losing streak. That hasn't been the case this season, though the Nats' two-time Opening Day starter has pitched much better in his two outings since returning from Class AA Harrisburg (against the Phillies and Dodgers).
Tonight, the Nationals will hope Lannan continues the trend and re-establishes himself as a reliable starter capable of putting a five-game losing streak to rest. He'll be up against a potent Diamondbacks lineup that boasts power from top to bottom and the other night in Milwaukee became only the seventh team in history to hit back-to-back-to-back-to-back home runs. Arizona counters with recently acquired lefty (and Springfield, Va., native) Joe Saunders, who tossed a complete game against the Nats 10 days ago at Chase Field.
Josh Willingham, as Jim Riggleman said yesterday, is back in the lineup tonight. He does have cartilage damage in his left knee (possibly a meniscus tear) and he may need surgery at some point. But he's been playing with this for most of the season and he's going to continue trying to play until it's clear he can't.
Ivan Rodriguez gets a night off, as does Roger Bernadina, who tweaked his upper leg during his first-inning double last night. Doesn't sound like anything serious, and there was a chance Bernadina would sit tonight anyway with a left-hander on the mound.
Check back for updates before, during and after the game…
DIAMONDBACKS at NATIONALS
Where: Nationals Park
Gametime: 7:05 p.m.
Radio: WFED-1500 AM, WWFD-820 AM
Weather: Partly cloudy, 79 degrees, Wind 13 mph in from RF
2B Alberto Gonzalez
SS Ian Desmond
1B Adam Dunn
3B Ryan Zimmerman
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Report: Phillies may target Cabrera to replace Rollins
- USO tour was "life-changing" for Nats' Fister
- Trade official, Turner can't join Nats til June
- Jerry Blevins on Japan, hoping for better results with Nats in 2015
- Moore, Taylor hope to be in mix for Nats' bench spots
- Report: Braves continue makeover, trade star OF Justin Upton
- Drew Storen goes 1-on-1 with Mark Zuckerman at NatsFest
- Winter Classic rink construction well underway at Nats Park
- Nats recall NLDS, watching Giants win World Series
- 'Baseball in the District' - Kurkjian, Zuckerman & Corcoran talk Nats