Aug 13, 2010, 5:43 AM EST
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Ian Desmond eludes Hanley Ramirez after tagging him out in the fourth.
If the Nationals are ever going to escape the basement of the NL East, they're going to have to leapfrog someone in the division. That team may prove to be the Mets, who are currently experiencing their annual, late-summer collapse that has more to do with off-the-field fiascos than on-the-field performance.
But the franchise that generally has stood directly in the Nats' way over the years hails from Florida and has established with incredible authority its ability to swat away these guys like they have no business sharing a ballpark with them.
Yes, the Marlins of all teams are the Nationals' biggest nemesis. After tonight's rain-delayed, 5-0 victory to complete a three-game sweep, Florida merely extended its run of dominance over its division rivals.
These two teams have played 47 times over the last three seasons. The Nats' record in those games: 13-34.
"Really?" Livan Hernandez responded in awe when informed of those lopsided results. "I don't know that."
He does now.
"Always in baseball, you've got somebody [who owns you]," Hernandez said. "Like for me, Todd Helton hits like .700."Read more »
PITCHERS AND CATCHERS REPORT IN
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Braves claim former Nats prospect off waivers from Yankees
- Washington Nationals 2015 roster preview: Anthony Rendon
- Former Nats pitcher Ross Ohlendorf follows Detwiler to Rangers
- PHOTOS: Bryce Harper attends Clippers game, meets Blake Griffin
- Big decisions to make for Nats after Scherzer signing
- Scherzer talked to Fister, Thornton before joining Nationals
- Ichiro Suzuki, former Nats OF Jonny Gomes land in NL East
- Boras' 'internal rating' system says Nats have MLB's best rotation
- Nationals sign former All-Star reliever to minor league deal
- Scherzer signing shows Nats' continued growth as a franchise